manure again

• 3 Replies

seedman

• Experienced Member
manure again
« on: November 27, 2011, 13:05 »
can any one tell what not to plant in freshly manured ground  i no about carrots the manure is about 12 months old will be put the the top next weekend thank you  :)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

bazh

• Experienced Member
Re: manure again
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 13:59 »
Depends on what you mean by freshly manured are you talking about fresh manure just out the horses back end being put down or freshly manuring an area with well rotted manure prior to planting? It'll make a difference to the replies you recieve.

Sorry just realised it's 12 months old, in that case other than possibly raising the acidity not sure of any other reasons why not as long as it's forked in.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 14:02 by bazh »
Faff free zone!

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 14:25 »
As your manure is 12 months old and sounds like it should be well-rotted, then either leave it on the surface or dig it in and leave it to rot down further over the next few months.
Even if it were fresh muck n' straw, it is still acceptable to dig it in now and the winter months and the worms will do their work and soon start taking ot down into the soil.
I have been reading the NVS website about manure, and one guy seems to be of the opinon that is it not fresh manure that causes root vegetables to fork, it is anything that might cause resistance in the soil, stones bits of glass, wood etc, it certainly gives 'food for thought'.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:52 »
As your manure is 12 months old and sounds like it should be well-rotted, then either leave it on the surface or dig it in and leave it to rot down further over the next few months.
Even if it were fresh muck n' straw, it is still acceptable to dig it in now and the winter months and the worms will do their work and soon start taking ot down into the soil.
I have been reading the NVS website about manure, and one guy seems to be of the opinon that is it not fresh manure that causes root vegetables to fork, it is anything that might cause resistance in the soil, stones bits of glass, wood etc, it certainly gives 'food for thought'.

Interesting you should mention that article I read it also, I also found an article about a study done by a US university stating that the application of manure made no difference to carrots they grew, definately food for thought.........I can feel an experiment of my own coming on  :)

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 33 queries.