Does anyone use their own Spuds for seed??

• 26 Replies

Trillium

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 15:59 »
I have an advantage in that blight is not a problem here, and that sometimes the commercial producers buy up so much seed that there's little to nothing left at times for the home gardener to buy. For 2 years running I could not buy my favourite baking potato as seed so we were glad we had some of our own left to plant. The 3rd year, there was a very limited amount available to buy and so rationed by the seller. In my case I must admit that our homegrown seeds produced far superior to the newly purchased seed. Guess you could say we're one of those lucky chances.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 18:20 »
I think any half sensible person, should know the risks of re-using their own stock of spuds.. as I said earlier, there has to be a limit to how long you use this practice before having to puchase 'seed' potatoes from a certified supplier. After speaking with one of the guys today, every 3rd season he buys new 'seed', so only uses his own for two seasons.
I personally think that to keep initial outlay costs down, this can only be a good thing for people struggling to make 'ends meet', and not simply do what suppliers WANT us to do, make THEM money!
Am I wrong?

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 18:39 »
We use our own saved seed for 3 years then we start again with high grade stock that is fully tested.
Our saved seed is tested every year by the ministry to ensure it is safe to use.
All we are trying to say is that if you want to be safe buy new seeds.
 :D
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 19:19 »
I did grow my potato peelings in an isolated position on a paved area near my washing line well away from any gardens or other plants. I wouldn't have planted them on my allotment. It was an experiment after speaking to someone about rationing and what they did during the war. I like to think I am very careful about plant hygiene and also pest control. Some people think that organic means just leaving them to it! Nic.

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 11:04 »
I am admittedly new to allotment gardening, but have been growing in my back garden for a few years now.

Last year I forgot to order any seed potatoes so i just threw 3 old maris pipers from a bag we got from tesco in the ground.  Didn't really expect much butgot 51/2LB from them.

They were gorgeous.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

woodburner

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 11:29 »
Seed potatoes are not overly expensive (if you shop around :o ). Wilko's are possibly the cheapest. £2.80 for 3kg IIRC last year, but have limited choice. For a few pence more (£2.95 for 3kg) Chelmsford market has a very good range to choose from. It's really not worth the risk of going over one year, for the commonly available ones.
For the varieties that cost more than that, I'd possibly take a chance but watch very closely every year for signs of disease
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

AndyRVTR

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 17:57 »
Ok.. so if I pop down to Wilko's tomorrow...how many 'seeds' would I get in 3kg?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 18:04 »
60ish. :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 18:29 »
Right... that helps.... my maincrop bed is 15m x 4m... anyone fancy doing the sums,  :D  :D, how many kg would I need?

Swing Swang

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 18:35 »
I never use my own seed potatoes. Salmo make perfect sense.

Anyway, why bother when potato fairs are so much fun!

I'll be attending Hampshire Potato fair on the 25th if anyone wants to say hello!

http://thewhitchurchweb.org/potatoday/

SS

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 18:39 »
Haven't we been through all this on another thread?

Anyway, first thing to do is convert it to proper measurements.

I make it about 49 x 13 feet.

For main crop ideally your rows are a bit over 2' apart, but let's say 2' to make it easy. That's 6 rows, of 49 feet, with 18" at the edges.

I plant my main crop 18" apart, so that about 32 per row.

Total of 192, so you'd probably get away with 3 x 3 kg sacks.

I think.

60 in a sack may be at the top end of the numbers & all depends on the size of the tubers. You may only get about 30, it can vary quite a bit. Have a rough count of how many in each sack & use that and divide 192 by that number.

Thank goodness I can buy them by numbers!

AndyRVTR

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 18:40 »
Quote from: "Swing Swang"
Anyway, why bother when potato fairs are so much fun!

Sorry, but working 9-5 Monday to Friday and working on the lottie at the weekend doesnt give much time for visiting potato fairs  :D

xx
Seed spuds

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 13:08
by Sweet Pea 2
xx
JBA Seed Spuds.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 17:56
by mrsparkle
xx
Got your seed spuds yet?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

60 Replies
Last post February 13, 2016, 13:24
by AnneB
xx
What to do with my Seed Spuds

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 12, 2011, 20:48
by Salmo

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 39 queries.