• 8 Replies

mememe72

« on: November 11, 2008, 14:05 »
Hi, My 10 year old has just been given an allotment and I have not got a clue what to do with it lol.  He has been helping out on the school allotment fo the last 12 months and decided that he would like his own so in a moment of madness I decided to apply for one a few weeks ago and the owners of the allotment gave him a half plot this weekend.  It is a bit over grown and am not at all sure I know what to do.  They have said they will help out all they can but I need all the help I can get.  So if anyone has a complete idiots guide I would be very greatful.  I have been told that you need to plant some flowers to help attract wildlife, but not sure whether this is true and if it is what kind of plants, There are a lot of dead sunflowers down there, I am hoping to speak to the people who run the allotment this weekend so hopefully they will be able to help me.  Any and all advise greatfully received.
Debbie And Sean

GaryH

• Experienced Member
    • meandmyplot
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 15:03 »
Firstly welcome.

Nice to see a 10year looking to GYO. Some photos would be great, but my personal view would be to cut back all the big stuff, then cover for approx 2 - 4 weeks, then dig and dig.

I would suggest marking out say 8ftx4ft beds, then dig and air after the initial 2-4 weeks of covering to kill of the weeds.
Then in January, February & March time, I would start germinating seeds.

Your son will probably apprieciate germination instead of just buying plug plants.

Also I would get a blog going on to keep a diary of what you have done and your progress through the year.  www.blogger.com

Continuos photos aren great as well.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Don't forget loads of experts on here, so any questions, just ask.

Have look at and through my blog as may help you. Not great but you never know.
Thanks

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 15:28 »
Agree with Gary...must get the weeds under control first or its an uphill battle all summer. As for flowers, they do attract pollinating bees but they're not necessary, particularly if your plot is small and you need the food (not sure of your son's intentions). Neighbouring gardeners will likely have some flowers for that purpose. If desired, he can also plant some easy grow seeds along the plot edges: calendulas, cosmos, sweetpeas, marigolds, etc.
And do ask your allotment directors about getting hold of compost or manure to enrich your soil before planting out those crops.

gidster

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 17:52 »
alright mate, im in the same boat and im just working out my next move, but i think i may get it rotavated and claer out the weeds, but not sure yet.

good luck mate.

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:07 »
The answer is easy.  Buy John's book, it will tell you everything you need to know.  Also your son will get some free seed to start him on his way.

Good Luck  :)  :)
ALLOTMENTNUT. GROWING EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.  JUST GIVE IT ALL A TRY!!!!

mememe72

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 13:40 »
brought johns book turned up this morning so I am going to read it now.  Sean wants to grow, Strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, carrots, potatoes, onions, cauliflower, mushrooms peas and sunflowers.  Any extra advise on these fruit and veg would be much appreciated.  Thank You.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 17:09 »
Gidster, I hope you plan to first clear the weeds before the plot gets rotovated. Chopping weed roots with the rotovator doesn't get rid of them...it only multiplies them many times as each root bit will now start off a new plant. The perennial roots are the worst - dandelions, dock, bindweed, etc. It's a lot of work but they really should come out first by either digging out or smothering them for a few months with black plastic or lots of cardboard.

gidster

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 19:31 »
yeah im going to smoother them mate ive a big role of black plastic sheeting, then have a crack at digging them out.

Poolfield2

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 19:53 »
Quote from: "allotmentnut"
The answer is easy.  Buy John's book, it will tell you everything you need to know.  Also your son will get some free seed to start him on his way.

Good Luck  :)  :)

I agree it's a great book and really helps newcomers to allotments. You even get free seeds with, I bought a second copy for a friend's Christmas but I nicked the seeds :lol:

xx
Newbie needs help!

Started by kea24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 18:12
by Yorkie
xx
newbie here,hi!

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 19:22
by John
xx
newbie here

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 20:29
by rictic
xx

Started by oldh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 20:55
by operabunny

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 35 queries.