I have ordered a Jerusalem Artichoke

• 14 Replies

fluffypebble

« on: February 08, 2007, 16:05 »
Found a seller on ebay, luvgarlic (or something similar) anyway he has organic J Art's so I got one, his are a bit more expensive than the ones another member got but the postage is cheaper and he has included some smoked garlic cloves.

He also does a nice beginners set up for 15 quid ish (J Arts, garlic, onion sets, cabbage etc) but I have already gone mad on me seeds n stuff so am resisting for now (I only have a dinky plot).
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

beansticks

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 16:26 »
Glad you found want you wanted.I have never tasted them,let alone grown them, let me know how you get on with them.

fluffypebble

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 16:56 »
I will do, I only want to try the chips but the guy has sent me a recipe for J Art soup so might be trying that as well.

Its all cos of that programme

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 17:15 »
They're delicious - my Dad used to grow them and the soup is really good!

I too have some on order - likewise reminded about their delights by the GYO programme.  

Can't wait!
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

pwgun

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 17:16 »
I have also bought some j arti from luvgarlic,  i have planted them in a bed but have buried some wide planks along the edges as they, ( so i have been told) can grow a bit wild if not watched carefully(weedlike).
Cant wait to taste them.
When the sun shines i dig,
When rain pours i dig
When the wind blows---I SURF.

Allan

fluffypebble

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 11:37 »
Well my J Art arrived on Saturday (not bad since I only ordered it Thurs) nicely packaged with some smoked garlic cloves as a pressie.

I am well impressed and woud recommend this guy for the service and the goods.  Now I just have to plant it and hope it works (if it doesn't I think that would be my fault, so no claiming compo)

Correzienne

Jerusalem Artichoke
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 13:14 »
I have heard that planting artichokes bought for eating works fine - has the advantage that you can try eating one first to see if you like the taste. As I've never eaten them this appeals, and intend to try it next time I see them in the local market - last week it was raining so hard i wasn't inclined to browse!

fluffypebble

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 13:28 »
I haven't seen any Jerusalem Artichokes for sale.  They are part of the sunflower family I think not a real artichoke.  
Anyway for just over £3 including postage I got meself a tubor that I can split into 2 so hopefully J Art chips next winter.

wellingtons

John Goodyer's quote ...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 14:18 »
... about jerusalem artichokes always makes me chuckle.

"Jerusalem artichokes...are dressed divers wayes, some boile them in water...others bake them in pies...others some other way as they are led by their skill in Cookerie. But in my judgment, which way soever they be drest and eaten they stir up and cause a filthie loathesome stinking winde within the body, thereby causing the belly to be much pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

WG.

Re: John Goodyer's quote ...
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 14:42 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
cause a filthie loathesome stinking winde within the body"
Yup they are called fartichokes for good reason.  But when did you last buy a cookery book?  :D  :D  Even Mrs Beaton could spell better than that.

The effect the author so potently describes is caused by inulin present in the tubers.  To quote more current (but less entertaining) sources ... "However, unlike most starchy vegetables, the principal storage carbohydrate in jerusalem artichokes ... is inulin rather than starch. When consumed, inulin is converted in the digestive tract to fructose rather than glucose, which can be tolerated by diabetics."

or "Jerusalem artichoke is the ideal food for slimming and eliminating excess water and toxins.  It has the capacity to work on the metabolism by producing energy and a feeling of being satiated, without increasing glycerin levels.  The active principle responsible for these phenomena is Inulin, a carbohydrate well tolerated by the pancreas.  Inulin works in synergy with other elements of the plant, such as the bitter properties, the proteins, soluble fibers and basic minerals, to exert a regulating effect on the body’s metabolism.
"

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 15:07 »
If one partaketh of some roote of ginger whilst enjoying a substantial repast of aforesaid heartyjokes, high pressure in the doldrums doth be averted.

wellingtons

lol ...
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 15:35 »
... it's actually in one of my gardening books, but I looked it up online and cut and paste it.

I do like old cookery books, but I ain't keen on jerusalems ...  :lol:

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 22:03 »
I got some Jerusalam artichokes today..... can't wait to get them in.....

My Dad used to grow them - and his comment when I said I'd got a few on order was that they grew "rampently" and not to plant them near anything else!  

So where did his go?  Seems they took over the raspberries years ago and he had a blitz and dug the lot out!   :?

Anyway I remember delicious soup.... looking forward to trying the reciepe that came with these ones from ebay (luvgarlic - seller).

I too got a couple of smoked garlic bulbs in my pack .... strong hearty smell and as we were cooking scrambled egg (in a hurry) tonight I put a clove in the egg mix.  IT WAS REALLY GOOD!  :lol:

I also bought pink fir apple potatoes.  Looking forward to trying them too.  I've never eaten them so it will take all my will power to plant ALL these and not cook a few!

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 15:14 »
My friend Ed works the kitchen garden for a very rich local family...
he just called to say he has a heap of raspberry canes he has just thinned out for me and some jerusalem artichokes !
any tips on where to plant the chokes, how to plant and how to stop them taking over?

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 17:56 »
I don't find the artichokes invasive. The big problem with spreading is mostly down to careless harvesting as each small piece left lying around will get scattered and then regrow.

Before planting, bear in mind that these plants grow TALL. They are dense and will rob the sunlight from anything on the shady side so they need a position at the northern or eastern edge of the plot. They also require sturdy support to keep them standing up otherwise they get lazy. As has been said before, the better the soil, the better quality the result.

xx
Jerusalem artichoke

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 19:45
by Mr Dog
xx
Jerusalem Artichoke

Started by Ruby Red on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 23:36
by wighty
xx
Jerusalem artichoke

Started by bazh on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 06:33
by bazh
xx
Jerusalem Artichoke

Started by Ruth Cross on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 20:44
by WG.

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 40 queries.