Question about sweetcorn

• 7 Replies

Ricco_T

Question about sweetcorn
« on: August 26, 2011, 15:24 »
This is my third season on my plot and the produce has been great.... except for the sweetcorn.  Last year I was getting two ears per plant (which I think is the norm) and they were good chunky ears.  This year I am only getting one ear per plant and these are rather short and narrow, though the packing of the kernals is good.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  The variety is 'Sugar Buns'.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 15:44 »
If the weather is better next year, so will the yield be ;)

You're lucky you got 1 perplant, recent threads show complete failure for some  :(

(edit silly typo!)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 15:52 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 15:50 »
Sweet corn is not native to the UK (I'm assuming you're in the UK because you haven't put your location in your personal profile!), and even the shorter-growing, quick-maturing varieties need everything going for them to give of their best.

This includes being able to plant them out early, getting plenty of warmth, food and moisture right from the beginning, and not too much rain or wind, especially when the all important pollination is taking place.

If you have actually ticked all of those boxes this year, then I'm afraid I don't have the answer to your question!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ricco_T

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 18:02 »
Thank you to both replies.  I thought conditions were pretty good, so it might be the variety. Sorry to hear that some allotmenteers have had no success at all; I consider myself lucky in that case.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 23:22 »
I nearly always get a good crop but this year has been a bit of a duff one as far as sweetcorn is concerned....  a crop yes, but not a good crop.

Sweetcorn needs plenty of muck underneath, plenty of warmth from the start and plenty of water and a good regular feed...

The only thing lacking this year has been the warmth..... its been too cloudy on the whole..
Death OR Cake ???

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:18 »
You forgot to mention plenty of water.

That has also been somewhat lacking.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ricco_T

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 08:35 »
Those ears of corn that we have we have had have been lovely and juicy and sweet.  I think the comment about loads 'a manure could be right 'cos the area they were on did not get manured in the last two years.  Next year they move onto a section that was manured last winter - this year's onions have been amazing!  I'll probably give it another feed this autumn.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 08:54 »
I wouldn't go as far as to say that you can't overfeed sweetcorn, but on my admittedly poor soil mine get additional granular fertiliser and sometimes a couple of liquid feeds as well to give them an extra boost to help compensate for less than ideal growing conditions.

xx
SweetCorn Question

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 08:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
sorry another sweetcorn question

Started by poohpouri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 23:45
by poohpouri
xx
Sweetcorn Question

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2019, 22:34
by Rhys
xx
Sweetcorn question

Started by Lawrence on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 19:19
by Lawrence

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 39 queries.