Sweetcorn Question

• 10 Replies

Elaine G

Sweetcorn Question
« on: April 07, 2019, 10:11 »
Ok, so I know to plant sweetcorn in blocks, and to not mix varieties.

If I sow half my sweetcorn now, to plant out at the end of May, and half in a month or so, to plant out at the end of June/ beginning of July will that give me two separate crops or is there a flaw in this plan that I haven’t thought of?
If this is a sensible plan, do they need to be planted as far away as possible or will it not matter..

Thanks for any opinions
Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn Question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 10:42 »
It's a sensible plan, but still best to separate them as much as you can, because although planted at different times, weather can also affect flowering/pollination time and you want as little chance of cross pollianation as poss.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 11:15 »
It might be worth investing in a second pack of seeds for that plan to work.  I've tried sowing late with varieties intended to be early and they sometimes run out of time if autumn closes in a bit fast.

Conquer has done well for me in the past as a late crop and I have Honeydew to try this year.

If you plant in blocks at a decent distance and with a view to avoiding the prevailing wind direction, you can minimise the cross=pollination problems.  On our site the wind runs down the hill from a westerly direction for most of the summer, so I stagger blocks so they are not downwind of each other  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 11:18 »
If all the same variety, it's a good idea if you are looking to prolong the cropping season and potentially improve overall pollination - plant the second block upwind of the first if possible to help pollinate any 'late' silks on the first batch (sweetcorn always seem to go down to the wire when it comes to tassel/silk production timing.)

If different varieties, you need to research whether cross-pollination could have an adverse effect on the cobs - some are compatible, some aren't.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Elaine G

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 22:27 »
Thank you for your comments.
I was planning to split the packet and sow the same type.
We are away for a lot of June, which is an allotmenting disaster in itself  :ohmy: but it wouldn't be polite to refuse a free holiday. So assuming the second lot survive being watered by my grandsons I will plant them out when I get home.
The wind is across my plot so planting upwind might be tricky.
I think the answer is to go for it, and I'll let you know later in the year if its a disaster.

Elaine

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 00:22 »
I've got some plants coming on in my kitchen on the windowsill. They're about 5 inches high now. I'm guessing it will be too soon to plant them out? Or would it be possible if I put them under cloches as we've just had another cold snap..

I get the feeling I've planted them too soon.. Any advice? Ta
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

crh75

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 08:28 »
I do this and it works well. (In reference to original question)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:39 by crh75 »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 08:33 »
I've got some plants coming on in my kitchen on the windowsill. They're about 5 inches high now. I'm guessing it will be too soon to plant them out? Or would it be possible if I put them under cloches as we've just had another cold snap..

It might be too soon.  Mine are still in the packet tbh, but you have decent sized plants now, so not much lost to try your luck.  Leaving them inside will make them spindly.

Have you got a greenhouse?  If not a cloche and a sheltered spot might be your best bet.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 08:35 »

Any frost will kill them outright, but sweetcorn are accomplished sulkers - prolonged temperatures of below around 10C will stop them growing and turn them pale and sickly, and they don't always recover fully from that even when it warms up.

Where you are I'd not be contemplating planting them outdoors until late May at the earliest.

Cloches may be worth a try, but can only do so much...

crh75

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 08:44 »
Assuming you don't have a heated greenhouse, I would but them out in the day and bring them in for the night.

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 22:34 »
My allotment neighbour has only just planted his seeds in the greenhouse. I've got plenty of seeds left so I can soon plant some more.
I've got a greenhouse, but have made a raised bed in it and have carrots and beetroot (2 types of each) growing in it so can pick early. Beetroot IIRC is cylicndra and solo. I guess I can always put the trays of sweetcorn on the floor of the greenhouse. I am going to make a large cold frame from old scaffold battens and I have plenty of toughened glass (ex BREL) and some perspex. That's another project though..

question
Sweetcorn question

Started by gazmet on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 11:24
by mumofstig
xx
SweetCorn Question

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 08:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
Question about sweetcorn

Started by Ricco_T on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 08:54
by JayG
xx
sorry another sweetcorn question

Started by poohpouri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 23:45
by poohpouri

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 51 queries.