here come the courgettes! Add your recipes.

• 117 Replies

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: here come the courgettes! Add your recipes.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 20:38 »
for me - eat them raw, dipped in Humous - nice and simple and delicious!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 20:45 »
with parmesan shavings, pepper and breadcrumbs occasionally, and they are divine that way!

Very Greek and my favourite way, but naughty me fries them in a little olive oil  :)

And even naughtier me dips them in flour and batter and deep fries them! 
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Growster...

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 20:55 »
Never knew it was a Greek recipe Mums, we always wanted to eat them in anyway possible!

The fleshy bits always remind me of acocado, which is also a fave...

Growster...

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 20:56 »
with parmesan shavings, pepper and breadcrumbs occasionally, and they are divine that way!

Very Greek and my favourite way, but naughty me fries them in a little olive oil  :)

And even naughtier me dips them in flour and batter and deep fries them! 

You bad Girl Angela - But save some for me!

Growster...

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 20:57 »
for me - eat them raw, dipped in Humous - nice and simple and delicious!
That's a new one, and investigating as we speak - or post wherever you are Gazza!

Katejs

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 17:59 »
Invented this morning - roast courgette houmous!  The only recipes I've seen online have used grated raw courgette, and I didn't fancy that.

I just stuck 4 whole courgettes on a baking try in the oven at gas 7 for about an hour - so they were completely soft.   When they'd cooled a bit I took the skins off (they pulled off fairly easily), then squeezed the pulp to renove most of the water.  It's surprising how little solid stuff (pulp and seeds) you end up with!  Then whizzed it with a couple of cloves of gralic,  lemon juice, and maybe a dessertspoon of tahini (sorry, I don't measure stuff unless it's a cake).   I didn't add any salt, but I hardly ever use it in anything so that 's what my palate is used to -  others might want some in there.

It's really quite good and as I eat houmous regularly, I think I might use up quite a few of the blighters like this.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 19:30 »
sounds good, without the tahini it's very similar to greek aubergine salad Melizanosalata  :D

sarajane

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 13:22 »
Found a tub of mixed feta cheese with herbs and olives in garlic oil lurking in the back of the fridge.

Just fried 2 yellow courgettes in the oil and poured the cheese/olives on top.  A very quick and tasty last minute lunch which I will certainly do again  :)

Trillium

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 14:51 »
I've just grated a whacking great pile, measured them into individual storage bags that I then put into a bigger freezer bag and put the main bag into the freezer.

All bags were labelled with the quantity and what it is so I can later pull out a bag and it's the exact amount I need for zucchini/courgette bread and other recipes I make.

Growster...

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 20:42 »
I've just grated a whacking great pile, measured them into individual storage bags that I then put into a bigger freezer bag and put the main bag into the freezer.

All bags were labelled with the quantity and what it is so I can later pull out a bag and it's the exact amount I need for zucchini/courgette bread and other recipes I make.

We're getting about five a day Trills, plus the 'Escapees', which have to be binned, but so far, they've all gone to good homes..;0)

Trillium

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 20:54 »
Does that mean your neighbours won't answer the door when they see you coming?  :D

Growster...

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 21:09 »
Does that mean your neighbours won't answer the door when they see you coming?  :D
Ha ha ha, Trills!

Bit like that really; Mrs Growster likes to arrange all the veg we've brought home in a trug basket, so that everyone cam see what we've produced. If we meet any chums they get a handful of whatever we have on board, so we get rid of the excess, and a few old dolls and blokes etc get a free veg gift, which seems to make everyone feel good...

Well, I hope so...;0)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2012, 18:47 »
One further than the parmesan and breadcrumbs, Matt Tebbutt used mayo for "glue" rather than egg, and baked (fishfingers) the other day, so tried it with courgette and aubergine today and served with tzatziki and greek salad. Yummy. No courgettes this year but the cues have done OK.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2012, 20:09 »

We're getting about five a day Trills, plus the 'Escapees', which have to be binned, but so far, they've all gone to good homes..;0)

You bin the monsters? They're my favourites :)

I like courgettes cooked all sorts of ways, but every now and then I treat myself and let one grow into a monster so I can stuff it with mince and tomatoes and garlic and mozzarella and all sorts of lusciousness, and that's my very favourite way to eat them.

Growster...

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2012, 20:13 »
One further than the parmesan and breadcrumbs, Matt Tebbutt used mayo for "glue" rather than egg, and baked (fishfingers) the other day, so tried it with courgette and aubergine today and served with tzatziki and greek salad. Yummy. No courgettes this year but the cues have done OK.

That sounds marvellous Tosca!

I'll wake Mrs Growster and tell her!

We've been gardening all day, and 'The last Night of The Proms' will be a non-starter methinks...

xx
Any recipes for stuffing large courgettes/marrows or squashes?

Started by devonbarmygardener on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2013, 12:03
by Annen
xx
Recipes

Started by Val H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 21:31
by Beetroot queen
xx
can not see recipes

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 08:54
by joyfull
smiley
recipes

Started by phil-c on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 18:17
by phil-c

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 56 queries.