Green Manure with Root Veggies?

• 12 Replies

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
Green Manure with Root Veggies?
« on: September 12, 2011, 14:46 »
Can I just check that if I use Green Manure (Mustard) in my root vegetable beds, will it cause the same problem as using regular manure i.e deformed roots etc?

Pompey Spud

Re: Green Manure with Root Veggies?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 16:15 »
Hi Michelle.

The manure that's causing the aminophyralid issues are mostly horse and cow manure.

Green manures is a term used to describe  'catch' crops. These as you know are used as a temporary cover on land between growing your veg.

This includes mustard and others like grazing rye where the aim is to hold the soils nutrients as well as provide plant matter for the soil when dug in. A good practice to get into IMO. Check out the references to green manure on this site particularly the ones that over winter.

Top tip for camping....don't go.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 16:22 »
I don't think the poster is referring to the aminopyralid problem, but the forking caused by lumps of manure in the soil.

I don't think green manures will do any harm in this respect,
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 16:25 »
I think MichelleC was probably referring to the issue of the forking of root crops in freshly manured soil rather than aminopyralid contamination (in which case I don't know the answer and would be guessing if I tried!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 16:34 »
I think MichelleC was probably referring to the issue of the forking of root crops in freshly manured soil rather than aminopyralid contamination (in which case I don't know the answer and would be guessing if I tried!)  :)

::) :unsure:

so you agree with DD then  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 17:01 »

Ooops (trying to multi-task - never works!)

Yes, we agree, but only DD has an actual answer!  ::)

kenny199

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 17:06 »

I use Phacelia Tanacetafolia for the amount of of good work it can do,1.smothers weeds for the winter.2.puts humus into the soil when you dig it in.3.if you grow a little bit on you plot earlier in the season it will encourage bees to pollinate your peas and beans.
To err is human, to arr is pirate

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 19:28 »
Indeed I was talking about the forking of roots in freshly manured soil whether green or rotted. I had read somewhere that you can use Green Manure instead of rotted manure so this made me question about whether or not you can plant carrots in the bed after digging in Green Manure. As DD advised that it's okay so I will go ahead. Thanks for the replies.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 00:38 »
I would not dig in green manure in the Spring just before sowing carrots. Probably OK to dig Summer green manure in now before carrots are sown in the Spring although I would not do that either. My carrots follow potatoes which have been mamured. I am on light soil and all I do is to penetrate the ground deeply with a fork to break any pan without turning it over and then cultivate to level it in the Spring.

A note on phacelia. I have a 2 foot high crop at the moment in full flower. Even today in the wind the bees were busy. They love it.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:21 »
 My roots follow brassicas, which have had really hard packed soil and used much of the nitrogen from the soil for their leafy growth. They get chicken manure through the season.

I give the soil a good dig once they are out, and then add old compost bag contents to give the soil a bit of much needed structure (we are on on river silt with lots of stones), take out a few more bucketfuls of stones and add Fish blood and bone about two weeks before sowing.

They get the occasional extra FBB about two months after sowing and that seems to do them.

The soil then gets plenty of manure for the potatoes to come: either animal or green depending on what I have available. (If I have enough manure the brassica beds for the coming year get it in the autumn)

Beans and peas come next and they get the contents of the compost bins, plus some FBB as well, and leaf mould.

So... I don't add manure for roots, either now or in the spring.

Obviously some do (DD for example  :) ) and so it is a case of doing what works for you and your soil/crop rotation.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:10 »

Obviously some do (DD for example  :) ) and so it is a case of doing what works for you and your soil/crop rotation.

I don't.  :ohmy:

I just said I didn't think green manures would hurt - as they're not lumpy like cow & horse poo. Mine also goes on the spuds.

Congrats on 10,000 posts BTW!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 21:48 »
OOOH! Thank you, DD  :D :D :D

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 17:41 »
Indeed I was talking about the forking of roots in freshly manured soil whether green or rotted. I had read somewhere that you can use Green Manure instead of rotted manure so this made me question about whether or not you can plant carrots in the bed after digging in Green Manure. As DD advised that it's okay so I will go ahead. Thanks for the replies.

Also the advice is that you should leave a few weeks after digging in your green manure before sowing seeds, because the rotting green manure inhibits germination.
Rachael

xx
Green Manure and Root Crops!

Started by Dirty Fingers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:59
by DD.
xx
What sand for storing root veggies?

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 15:04
by simonwatson
xx
Manure and Root Veg

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:10
by purplebean
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 35 queries.