Could my chickens kill me??

• 19 Replies

NATHAN

« on: October 26, 2007, 20:37 »
And i don't mean the psychotic one at the back that is always glaring at me :shock:

No, what i am getting at is..

I was thinking of letting one of my hens hatch some eggs next year. But i was talking to someone today (who sells POL pullets) who said that there is no way if i hatched my own i could vaccinate the new hens against salmonella and other such nasties. The only way to be sure was to buY POL.
I need to be sure as i have a 2 year old and another on the way and i could do without salmenella thanks very much. Does anyone know anything more on the subject??

Thanks in advance.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 20:41 »
Hi Nathan,

I've asked my local vet about vaccinating my 3 one year olds and he said that unless it's a whole flock (ie about 40+) then it's not really cost effective to do this... Ive got 3!

There are germs which you can transmit on your wellies etc just by having chooks, so if you are concerned I'd perhaps have a bucket of diluted jeyes fluid to dip footwear into before you leave the lottie and some antibacterial handwipes on hand in case s/he touches them.

HTH, Su.

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 20:41 »
can i reply in the same way as i reply to all these weekend experts  :x ...... tell em bolloks,, you can have them vaccinated by ur vet or buy the stuff and do it urself after geting a vet to show you how ..... i dont vaccinate mine .and have never had any problems  and i have got kids and a grand daughter and woukldnt risk them or her .....  :)
still alive /............

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 20:45 »
i reckon im for the norty step lol first timer as well  :cry:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 20:52 »
Post subject: Could my chickens kill me??

yes if one was shoved down your throat and her legs up your nose  :lol:

i think i'll be joining munty on the naughty step :oops:

mercury

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 20:54 »
Don't listen to the scaremongers nathan, munty's right, just do it :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 20:55 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
Aunty's in a good mood today Munty.  I'll let your naughty work slip by  :lol:

Grannieannie is our "expert" on this she is inoculating her 300 chicks as we speak  :D  And I think she said that you can only purchase the meds  in flock sized packs.

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 20:58 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Quote from: "muntjac"
Aunty's in a good mood today Munty.  I'll let your naughty work slip by  :lol:

Grannieannie is our "expert" on this she is inoculating her 300 chicks as we speak  :D  And I think she said that you can only purchase the meds  in flock sized packs.

some vets stock the vaccine in small amounts for small keepers its just a part of the main dose supplied for large stock .i you may be lucky and have one of them if you ask about  :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 20:59 »
My first lot I ever had was bought as day olds I never bothered, all my kids eat raw eggs in cake mixture etc etc so I'm with everyone else who said B......s  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

muntjac

Re: Could my chickens kill me??
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 21:00 »
Quote from: "NATHAN"
And i don't mean the psychotic one at the back that is always glaring at me :shock:

No, what i am getting at is..

I was thinking of letting one of my hens hatch some eggs next year. But i was talking to someone today (who sells POL pullets) who said that there is no way if i hatched my own i could vaccinate the new hens against salmonella and other such nasties. The only way to be sure was to buY POL.
I need to be sure as i have a 2 year old and another on the way and i could do without salmenella thanks very much. Does anyone know anything more on the subject??

Thanks in advance.

it may be they wanted to sell you more POL's

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 21:51 »
i blame Edwina Curry for all this nonesence talk about getting salmanella from eggs and chicken.

i have worked in all aspects of chicken farming. from hatching to dispatching.....
i contracted salmanella once......when i was in the hatchery....
everything was fine for years...then it was decided that eggs should be WASHED..... :roll:

we lost count of exploding eggs after that...this was the eggs that contained the bacteria, because they were washed.

dont worry about it, it is rare to get it from fresh eggs, or chicken ( live ones ) if you do have exploding eggs, then basic hygene routines should sort it out so you dont get it...ie washing hands, dont smoke while dealing with the eggs etc etc

you can however get it from raw chicken, or chicken that is not cooked properly, but i suspect you have been eating chicken for many years now, and you are ok....lol.....

so dont panic, enjoy your birds, and forget about the scare mongers, and the big vet bills....

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 23:40 »
Sorry everyone, I've only just seen this one.  Aunty is right, I've been trawling the net for 7 weeks now, and I have not yet seen vaccines in small doses for very small flocks.  Perhpas the vets do have them in smaller doses, but I don't like vets bills if I can help it!

The hatchery vaccinated the chicks for Mareks as soon as they were hatched.  I asked them about vaccines against Newcastles and Salmonella, and they said as mine is such a small flock (300!) it wasn't worth it as the chances of them getting anything as long as they are looked after well is very slim, so its not worth buying vaccines in 1000 doses, which is what most of them are now.  And my chooks will only be going to homes, not in a big commercial flock.

I have also spoken with a chap at Intervet, and he said that most of the parent stock of commercial birds are screened or tested for salmonella so it is unlikely that the chicks would have it, and again with good husbandry, they should be fine.  However if I do want to vaccinate them.  It'll cost me around £5-£10 for the Newcastles vaccine and about £50 for the Salmonella both of which I'd have to do twice.  So we are still thinking about that one, as it would push the price of the birds up a bit.

I asked the lady when we bought our POL's in August if they wree fully accinated, and she said yes, but I've got no paperwork or anything to prove it, so just have to take her word for it.  

But I must admit, I personally don't take much notice of all this salmonella in poultry, mad cow disease, swine fever etc etc.  All these things have been around a lot longer than any of us, and we are still here.  If things are cooked properly, and if people wash their hands and keep good husbandry with their animals well then.......

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 00:11 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Sorry everyone, I've only just seen this one.  Aunty is right, I've been trawling the net for 7 weeks now, and I have not yet seen vaccines in small doses for very small flocks.  Perhpas the vets do have them in smaller doses, but I don't like vets bills if I can help it!

The hatchery vaccinated the chicks for Mareks as soon as they were hatched.  I asked them about vaccines against Newcastles and Salmonella, and they said as mine is such a small flock (300!) it wasn't worth it as the chances of them getting anything as long as they are looked after well is very slim, so its not worth buying vaccines in 1000 doses, which is what most of them are now.  And my chooks will only be going to homes, not in a big commercial flock.

I have also spoken with a chap at Intervet, and he said that most of the parent stock of commercial birds are screened or tested for salmonella so it is unlikely that the chicks would have it, and again with good husbandry, they should be fine.  However if I do want to vaccinate them.  It'll cost me around £5-£10 for the Newcastles vaccine and about £50 for the Salmonella both of which I'd have to do twice.  So we are still thinking about that one, as it would push the price of the birds up a bit.

I asked the lady when we bought our POL's in August if they wree fully accinated, and she said yes, but I've got no paperwork or anything to prove it, so just have to take her word for it.  

But I must admit, I personally don't take much notice of all this salmonella in poultry, mad cow disease, swine fever etc etc.  All these things have been around a lot longer than any of us, and we are still here.  If things are cooked properly, and if people wash their hands and keep good husbandry with their animals well then.......

here here nanna :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 10:08 »
Thanks Munty, thought you were going to come back and say I was talking a load of bosh!   :D

You know when you said that some vets carry small amounts of the vaccines, so they buy them in the 1000 doses like commercially used?  Well, I've been told by intervet and others on the internet that even if you only use a small amount of the vaccine, whatever is left can't be saved it has to be chucked out as its contaminated by then!!  True?  False?

Bodger

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 12:34 »
In answer to the original question, you certainly wouldn't want to P this one off !

xx
Will he Kill ?

Started by Hooee on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 23:10
by hillfooter
xx
Fox kill

Started by Vanya on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:09
by OpiumEater
xx
kill, pluck and gut course

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 22:02
by pepsi100
xx
best way to kill a turkey!

Started by cornfed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 04, 2007, 17:57
by muntjac

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 35 queries.