identify this?

• 7 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
identify this?
« on: September 12, 2008, 17:04 »
Ok, a sort of newbie to growing.... these come off my courgette plant, i have no idea what type of courgette as i was given the plant, the bigger one was about the 2nd one that started growing and it stopped at this size it also has a funny end, the smaller courgette is a medium size... what i am wanting to know is...

is the bigger one ripe and is it edible?  (if its not ripe what colour will it go?)
also does anyone know what sort these might be, i have another 6 growing on the plant (good considering the plant only started to do anything 2 weeks ago..)
Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
identify this?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 17:09 »
In my experience with courgettes, they don't 'ripen' as other veg do, but just get bigger!

I'd be pretty sure that the bigger one is edible.

Not sure which variety of courgette it will be.  There's loads, of different colours.  Some are indeed as pale as yours appear to be from the photos - they stay that colour, don't go darker green as they get older.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
identify this?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 17:11 »
The larger one has almost lost the green colour and is more a creamy colour....  they are all very light green when small  :D

Cowshill

identify this?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 17:40 »
If you want them as courgettes rather than marrows, they they're always ready to pick and the younger the better.  They don't ripen - they just grow seeds and get tough and stringy as they get bigger.  Pick them just a few days after flowing, slice them up and saute in olive oil with some onion and garlic.  Yum!

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
identify this?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 22:59 »
might be a cross pollination with a butternut - are there any butternut squash plants near by?

gobs

identify this?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 20:48 »
You either have a pale green courgette or a white marrow.

But as Yorkie says, putting a variety on it would be a bit of a hocus-pocus.

Both can be eaten in either form, the oversized courgettes are not a great taste experience, usually.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Lemon

identify this?
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 17:32 »
I've grown them before..

I bought Courgette Clarita a couple of years back.  Its a lebanese courgette meaning that it's pale green in colour and slightly club shaped.  If you leave it too long they will grow to size of marrows - still edible but skin may require peeling as it's tougher.

It's a F1 hybrid and mum saved seeds, I grew them again last year from the saved seed and the resulting courgettes were almost white and shaped like aubergines!  Still tasty though!  So much better than supermarket ones!   :D
Mama Hen to Bokky (Lt Sussex X) & Korma (R.I.R X) & wife to Chookie Papa

gobs

identify this?
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 22:27 »
Well, you might find, Lemon, that you are so right in saying that Lebanese courgettes are courgettes pale in colour that a lot of catalogues don't treat them as anything different from courgettes, so there are a few more varieties of them than the one.  :)

xx
Can anyone identify this ?

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 23:55
by Salmo
clip
Can you identify this

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2019, 12:47
by ches
xx
Can you help identify...

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 21:35
by Salmo
xx
Identify this?

Started by Lawrence on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 16:48
by Lawrence

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 38 queries.