Spider Time.

• 11 Replies

NormandyMary

Spider Time.
« on: September 22, 2010, 21:10 »
Every year about this time, we have around a month of being invaded by the biggest spiders you ever did see. We get 3 or 4 every day either in the lounge or the bedroom, though this year, just to test me, we've had 2 in the bath.
I have to do a thorough check of the bedroom, every nook and cranny before I get into bed. I know it doesnt help that we live in a 300 year old stone farmhouse, but they seem to do disappear as quickly as they arrive.
In the uk, it was always crane flies, here its spiders. I have spray and hubbies slippers at the ready. I was petrified of them before we moved over here. I dont faint now, I just "deal" with them.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Spider Time.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 21:25 »
Ugh.

I walked into a large one (probably not large on your scale!) outside the house yesterday.  It had strung its web at head height and the spider ended up on my cycle helmet just above my eyebrow.

Double ugh and it wasn't on there long  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 21:50 »
Just this last week I must have put out about 10 big house spiders - not for me, but for my hubby and kids.  I don't mind them and they're welcome to live in the house but if any of those 3 see them they all turn into Olive Oyle  ::)

A couple of years ago we had friends round and one (a fella) went to the bathroom but about turned and was as white as a sheet!  there was one of the big house spiders on the wall but, no word of a lie it was about the circumference of a large coffee cup and that was without having to spread its legs out!  It was HUGE! 

Now, whenever I get rid of the spids I just scoop them in my hands and they usually run up my arm a bit but then stop by the time I get to the front door just in time for me to blow them off me and out of the house.  This one was so big that all of these grown adults were actually climbing over the furniture to get away! LOL!   It was funny at the time.   to me anyway  :tongue2:  :lol: :lol:

Junie

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:14 »
We get them starting to come in now although the beginning of October is "Rush hour".

Found one tucked cosily into a skirt that I put on yesterday - that was a shock! a good 2 inches across too! :ohmy:

It's like any small creature - I don't mind them if I know where they are going!! 

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 16:25 »
The other night I pulled back the duvet and there was a biggie just happily sitting on the corner of my pillow case. Lucky I'd turned my bedside light on before I went to the bathroom rather than walk into a dark bedroom and just get into bed. I'm not as brave as SnooleSuzi but will put a glass over them and slide a piece of card under the glass and relocate out of the door or window. :blink:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 17:50 »
that reminds me of a story I was told:  a relative of a friend used to live in a stone cottage somewhere in the woolies of Northumberland and he came home one night to find his girlfriend curled on the sofa, feet off the floor and about 6 upturned glasses on the floor, each of them trapping a spider!  :lol:

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 19:40 »
Found one in the bath today.

Several have made webs across the path at face height, and I nearly walked into one yesterday. Eeeek. I panic and flap about.

wighty

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 20:11 »
About six years ago Paul made a lovely arch across the path at the top of our garden to section off the drive from the garden and we've trained honeysuckle and roses over it and I think it looks lovely.  Every morning the first person out to work has to take a stick we keep handy now to swipe the arch so we can get through without getting a facefull!  Why do spiders build their webs at our face height!  They even do it in the entrance to the greenhouse when I leave the door open for ventilation!

elrohana

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 22:39 »
We don't get many indoors, not that live long anyway, despite being semi-rural and having at least 2 windows permanently open all year round.  The reason?  I reckon word got out about Pyewacket and Constantine, my 2 boy-cats!  They discovered spiders when they were kittens and they LOVE them (splat, munch, burp).  They don't have pet-passports, NormandyMary, but I could look into it if you're willing to foot the bill for them to visit you for a month or so!  :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup

Junie

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 07:28 »
I am not so bothered about the spiders now, the mice seem to be trying to find warmth and food now!

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 08:31 »
I still have a pleasant memory of finding my sister sitting on top of the dining table, she had been there an hour. :)

Tree`d by a spider. :lol:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 16:12 »
I'm afraid I hoover them if alone, or if not just scream till OH opens the door and shoos them out.

Looking after my sisters frog/toad tank at the moment, so also experiencing escaped crickets hopping round the carpet.  Eeek.

xx
Once upon a time I had a sette.....

Started by janet12000 on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 21:01
by karlooben
xx
first time to rabbits

Started by asd1 on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 16:16
by Mulberry1990
xx
We,ve decided its time

Started by taytors on Pets without Feathers

49 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 18:24
by maxibo
xx
FREEBEES!!!! - No really this time!

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Pets without Feathers

26 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 00:50
by BobE

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.