Which green manure can I sow now?

• 11 Replies

She'sinthegarden

« on: October 29, 2008, 23:03 »
Hi
We've had our very overgrown allotment since May. I strimmed it off and put black plastic down to smother the dock/brambles/horse's tail/plantain and couch grass but now we've had a letter from the council saying we have to cultivate or lose it. I hoped to leave it till spring as I thought it was 'the longer the better' if we don't want to use weedkiller. Anyway, if I get on and prepare the asparagus beds for planting in spring, what green manure will go on now, please?

I've read on different seed sites that I could put Hungarian grazing rye or field beans but the info conflicts about how late they can be sown. Also does anyone know if either is a bad idea before asparagus, please?

Failing that, what could I sow cheaply now just to keep the allotment inspector happy - she is reinspecting on Dec 1st.
S.i.t.g.

Bombers

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 23:16 »
I've Just sown an area with Grazing Rye. I suppose you could try field beans but this cold snap won't help? I dont think it will be detrimental to the asparagus, if anything I think it would be  a bonus, but other more knowledgeable folk may well disagree with me there?  :) what about throwing a pack of Broad beans in...? (Just to keep the council boys happy? :wink:)
Personally, I think they're a bit unreasonable expecting you to cultivate it that quick? :roll: hope all goes well for you. :)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

She'sinthegarden

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 23:20 »
Thanks, Bombers. That bit about broad beans made me laugh - EVERY person we've talked to on the lottie since May has mentioned broad beans. My husband has started to cook up a theory that they're all addicted because of a 'rogue' batch of GM seeds. :D

Bombers

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 23:30 »
Quote from: "She'sinthegarden"
Thanks, Bombers. That bit about broad beans made me laugh - EVERY person we've talked to on the lottie since May has mentioned broad beans. My husband has started to cook up a theory that they're all addicted because of a 'rogue' batch of GM seeds. :D

ADDICTED....ADDICTED..... Naaghhh.  :roll:  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Brixton Crack Squirrel

Green manures
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:03 »
If it's a case of just covering yourself with the council, i'd just dig over as much as possible. Perhaps put in some row markers with plant names on to fool them! Having said that, I got my allotment in mid November 2007 with a "probationary" period of 6 months: I just dug over a couple of beds and cut down a small tree. On one bed I just gave it a hard rake over to clear some weeds and planted alternate rows of rye and field beans - in December. They germinted fairly well - So you might get away with sowing some it now. My understanding is that the rye will help break up heavy soil and beans will improve the nitrogen content. Good luck

She'sinthegarden

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 18:51 »
Thanks for that. I'll see how they do. I think they're cheap enough anyway.

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 00:03 »
It should be clear enough of weeds by now to be easy to dig/loosen with a fork, and now is a very good time to do it.
If you leave it to the spring, you won't have time. Been there done that ;)
You don't have to sow anything to keep the council happy just cultivate the soil ready for next year.
You can grow hungarian rye, but you will have to properly dig it in before you can plant and that's a big job in my book (not sure what it looks like but the council may not consider it a crop anyway.)
I'd just re-cover the ground as you prepare it. That's what I'm doing atm anyway, that and sowing field beans, which don't need to be dug in but it may be too late for them.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

paintedlady

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:18 »
:evil: What a mean council - one overgrown plot & they expect it to be cultivated 6 months on!  I had virtually the exact thing last year when I took my big plot on (couch grass, marestail, bindweed & a whole load of other perennial weeds) - after strimming, it all got covered with black plastic.  I started to dig the beds over during the Christmas break, and I warn you now, all of the above weeds have not died!  They are merely dormant and come spring will all pop up again!!  If you can get some weed suppressing stuff (I used some flimsy thin black plastic sheeting with lots of tiny holes in) and plant through that, it will help a lot otherwise you will be back to square one come summer. :roll:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 10:37 »
I would say do not plant asparagus until every perrenial weed (such as bindweed, couch grass, thistle, bramble) is completely elliminated.

There is a supplier in Kent (www.asparagus-in-kent.co.uk) that holds its asparagus crowns in a chiller and will supply them up until about the end of May, which will give you time to attack the weeds. I planted some in mid-May this year and they are excellent.

Pull back part of your cover and dig it over. The weeds should not grow now that the soil has cooled down. If they do at least you will see them and can give them another bash.

When you are digging have a bucket in front of you. Paintakingly dig out every root as you go. Do not try and bury them. A small area done properly is the best advice.

Grazing rye is a pain to dig in and will not surpress weeds, neither will beans.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 15:48 »
Hungarian grazing rye and winter field beans can both be planted now and then dig in in the early Spring about 3-4 weeks before you want to plant a crop to give them time to rot down.  I grew rye last year and then to dig in i just put a spade in and turned it over to bury the rye, quite easy and quick. Both will supress weeds to a certain extent depending on density of sowing, they will stop rain leaching the goodness out of the soil and hey will add both body and natural fertiliser to the soil as they rot down.  Personally i think it is well worth while doing it rather than leaving a bare plot all Winter.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

She'sinthegarden

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 09:48 »
Hi
Well we put up a shed yesterday so we're ready to start in earnest.

Painted Lady - NOOOOOO! Don't tell me that!

Having thought it through, we've decided to put in a bed of autumn fruiting raspberries instead of the asparagus as they are easy to put weed suppressing fabric round and then mulch over with council chipped bark. This should solve the problem of those nasty weeds. We can then take our time prepping the asparagus bed properly. Luckily, we have half a roll of the fabric left from work in the garden at home and plenty of garden compost/rotted horse manure because we did nothing in our own garden this summer.

This should sort things for the next inspection. I didn't mind getting the letter really as there are lots of people on the waiting list and it did give us the motivation to get on and do something.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 11:15 »
sitg, don't forget though that raspberries throw up new canes on which the fruit will form (Autumn rasps fruit on new growth each year) so do not put weed plastic down too close to them as this will block the canes coming up, i would say 12" away from the main canes or preferably do not use fabric just put a lot of mulch down to supress weeds.  Also do not weed close to them with a hoe as they are very shallow rooting so you may damage the plants.

Cawdor

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.