Over-wintering vegetables

• 1 Replies

Code Red

Over-wintering vegetables
« on: August 26, 2009, 15:17 »
Hi,

I've cleared a 40 foot patch at the bottom of my garden for growing purposes, but as the whole garden was a wilderness, it's now August and I'm thinking I've kind of missed the boat.  :(

I've got some leeks growing well and some beans and spring onions, I'm hopeful they'll crop before it gets too cold but I'd like to get some stuff in over the winter, at the very least to try and improve the soil structure.

The soil in my area (SE Kent) is very chalky and alkaline.  It's also rotten with couch grass, bindweed and brambles.  I've done my best to clear them from the allotment area, but I realise they're not going to go quietly...

Ideally I'd like to grow some potatoes, carrots, parsnips, broccoli in addition to what I already have.  Are there any varieties that would grow well over a mild winter, or should I just hold off until the spring?  What kinds of green manures would be best for my kind of soil?  Is there any benefit in growing things like brussels sprouts over winter?  I personally can't stomach the things, but I can always give them away, and I understand that they can fix nutrients in the soil which will benefit next years' planting?

I'm a complete beginner, so I'm afraid I don't have much idea about what to grow  :blush:

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: Over-wintering vegetables
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 16:15 »
You can plant overwintering (Japanese) onions, garlic and broad beans in November, ready for early next summer. You could also try winter/spring cabbage and purple sprouting brocolli, although it may be better to buy young plants rather than sowing from seed for which it may be a bit too late (but I could be wrong).
Have a look at green manure seeds in http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/ - it tells you what type for your soil, what the benefits are and when to sow
Rachael

xx
Over-wintering

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 21:17
by mumofstig
xx
over wintering veg

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 18:31
by Grubbypaws
xx
Wintering over?

Started by Lula on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 14:34
by noshed
xx
Over wintering onions

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 07, 2019, 19:08
by johnjsdb

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 33 queries.