March Weather

• 4 Replies

andyjwill

March Weather
« on: February 25, 2009, 13:12 »
My second year of veg growing and like most of you am very keen to start getting things in the ground. I live in the South Midlands and read somewhere some more freezing weather is on the way which may kill anything off I plant in mid March.

Has anyone else heard/read this?

Thanks

woodburner

Re: March Weather
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 13:21 »
Hello and welcome to the forums. :)
I haven't heard that but even in sunny Essex  ::)  :lol: you can't be sure of being frost free until June.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

GreenOwl

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 13:48 »
I haven't heard anything but it wouldn't surprise me.  I got out my spuds to chit at the weekend and my other half says "are those about to go in?" :wacko:.  One warm weekend does not equal spring!

I live just north of Bristol and I don't start anything off outside until late March at the earliest.  Inside... well thats a different matter.   :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 16:39 »
Ive heard next week will bring a return to the colder weather - not the snowy conditions but definately a reduction in temperature
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 16:43 »
Source Met office "UK Outlook for Monday 2 Mar 2009 to Wednesday 11 Mar 2009:
An unsettled spell of weather is expected for most of this period across much of the United Kingdom. Rain or showers will affect all parts at times, with snow over hills, especially in the north, and potentially even to lower levels for a time later in the first week of this period. The rain most persistent across southeastern England during the first Monday of the period, with wintry showers for northwestern parts. However, from Tuesday, the wettest and windiest conditions will shift to northern and western parts of the United Kingdom with southeastern areas seeing the best of any drier, brighter spells. Temperatures starting the period near normal but soon becoming rather cold with overnight frost. Southern areas possibly becoming drier with nearer normal temperatures later in the outlook period.

Updated: 1137 on Wed 25 Feb 2009"
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

xx
What snow in March!

Started by Newdigger on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 08:08
by Christine
xx
march heaven

Started by craggy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 15:04
by viettaclark
xx
Vegetables on the march. . .

Started by Ruby Red on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2008, 10:35
by Gwiz
xx
March Sowing

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 10:40
by Small Potatoes

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 33 queries.