vegetables in containers

• 15 Replies

Dodo

vegetables in containers
« on: January 22, 2009, 12:35 »
We have recently moved to lincolnshire and the garden here has a lot of hard landscaping so am intending to grow veg in containers.  My husband has made me a 6ftx3ftx1.5ft wooden container and I have been told that I could put earth as well as bagged compost from garden centre into it. Is this a good idea? I would be grateful for any comments -dodo

Jo-n-Neil

vegetables in containers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:43 »
You might be best asking in grow your own, or one of the lovely mods will move it there for you  :wink:  :lol:

Jo

Welcome by the way

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
vegetables in containers
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 13:00 »
Moving you over to Grow Your Own. And Welcome to the Forums - you might like to say hello in there as well.
Val
Recipes Galore!

woodburner

Re: vegetables in containers
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 16:02 »
Quote from: "Dodo"
We have recently moved to lincolnshire and the garden here has a lot of hard landscaping so am intending to grow veg in containers.  My husband has made me a 6ftx3ftx1.5ft wooden container and I have been told that I could put earth as well as bagged compost from garden centre into it. Is this a good idea? I would be grateful for any comments -dodo

Don't know whether it's a good idea or not but that's what I'd do.  :lol:
I have a friend whose garden is largely underlain with concrete just an inch down, and recently she's mounded up home made compost and what soil she can spare from elsewhere into beds about 15" deep and had some good crops off them, so I reckon it would work.  8)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

poultrygeist

vegetables in containers
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 17:03 »
Hi dod and welcome :)

Just keep an eye on the drainage, maybe put lots of crocks in the bottom. I'll let the experts advise on what to grow and how. :)

Rob 8)

Parsnip

vegetables in containers
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 17:11 »
I grew my green beans in large containers last year and they were very successful. I also grow my toms in them too ( just tip the gorw bag in) last years yield was poor ( mainly due to the lack of sun) but generally it works very well.

There are others on here that grow in pots, they'll be along soon I'm sure.. :wink:

Oh yes ....Welcome :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
vegetables in containers
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 17:29 »
If your beds haven't got bottoms then i suggest lining with weed surpressant material or the soil tends to leach out over the surrounding concrete or paving....not a good look.
Yes you can put any spare soil you've got (you can buy by the bag as well) in and use multipurpose compost. The soil gives the compost a bit of 'weight' behind it. Compost on its own needs changing too often IMO

philskin

vegetables in containers
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 19:23 »
Hiya dodo welcome to the forum ,you will get some seriously sound advice of the folks on here . I myself like growing in containers and after some sound advice of john and others grew spuds in containers using compost and old horse manure and also carrots cant beat them ,heres a few pics  for you

just 1 potato in each of these but to be honest found that 2 spuds in each gave better results . Keep them inside till risk of frost has gone then move them outside

heres the result lovely earlies

If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

Parsnip

vegetables in containers
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 19:45 »
Wow Phil, that's seriously impressive...!!

philskin

vegetables in containers
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 20:00 »
thanks parsnip buts its only due to the sound advice of you people , one thing i forgot to say is that i drilled 3 half inch holes in the bottom of each container

AdsaM

• Experienced Member
vegetables in containers
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 20:07 »
What containers are they Phil. ?

Did you buy them from a store.?

philskin

vegetables in containers
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 06:46 »
the containers are what flower shops import there flowers from abroad in ,if the lorries full they cant take the empties back so 9 times out of ten there only to happy to give them away found half of these in the skip of the flower shop

Dodo

container gardening
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 11:46 »
Thank you to all who responded to my question - I do not know how to work this web site or how to reply individually so hope this will go somewhere to be read! Dodo

Kate and her Ducks

vegetables in containers
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 11:56 »
I also grow quite a lot in containers as my space is pretty limited. Spuds in containers and my runner beans did really well in a planter up a trellis. Going to do almost all my toms in hanging baskets this year as did one like this last year and got more from it than I did the three in the growbag put together!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Gwiz

vegetables in containers
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 12:54 »
We grow quite a lot of veg in large pots in any-old-space around our garden. We even do our runner beans in huge comercial pots with a wigwam of bamboo canes. so far we've had no problems at all (provided I remember to keep watering them!) :D

xx
growing vegetables in containers

Started by corndolly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 21:59
by wet behind the ears
xx
Vegetables so far

Started by weathergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 21:13
by Dan78
xx
What, when and how to net vegetables

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 00:17
by suziet88
xx
When to plant vegetables?

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2007, 07:00
by Dorset Boy

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 35 queries.