B&Q greenhouses

• 8 Replies

potatopotato

B&Q greenhouses
« on: March 02, 2008, 14:51 »
B&Q seem to be the cheapest place for greenhouses I've discovered after much research (i.e. 30 minutes on the internet and a wander down to the closest B&*). They sell both silver line and green line, the silver is cheaper so I was thinking of getting that; and for glazing they have packs of horticultural glass and polycarbonate. I was planning on getting polycarb glazing since we've had quite a lot of vandalism on our lottie lately.

has anyone on here bought a greenhouse at B&* and are they any good?
So everybody's entitled to opinions, I open up my mouth, and s***, I've got millions! - Lady Sovereign

beansticks

B&Q greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 15:33 »
I bought an aluminium framed 8x6 greenhouse 3 years ago,cost £149.99,plus £49.99 for a galvanised base.Excellent value .

marek

B&Q greenhouses
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 15:40 »
After filling up a wheelie bin full of horti glass, after this w'ends wind, I would say polycarb is a good idea.  That horti glass managed to get everywhere, even stuck like daggers into a nearby fence, glad I wasnt about when it all kicked off, seems like pretty dangerous stuff.  

I was pricing up replacement poly or acrylic sheets and you buy a brand new shiny greenhouse for roughly the same price.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
B&Q greenhouses
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:41 »
Me self, glass every time, last year with the bad winds we had, it was the polycarb that went, all the glass still stood. The reason they go is the wind oscilates the frame, pinging the clips that hold them in place, as soon as one goes its only a matter of time. I have put extra stableizers in to make the frame more rigid and added extra clips on the windy and top glass.

this was one such polyframes....
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Lee1978

B&Q greenhouses
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 16:55 »
Top tip

Providing your greenhouse has the metal clips that secure the glass in position if you apply silicone over the clip this should keep the glass in position against the winds :)

Omegaman1

Deano

B&Q greenhouses
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 23:42 »
I had a greenhouse from B and Q and it totally served it's purpose, good value. I did have it in a nicely sheltered spot though.

A mate of mine reckons that if there are strong winds forecast to take one pane of glass out of your greenhouse and leave the door open, he reckons the wind permeates through the greenhouse this way.
It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

compostqueen

B&Q greenhouses
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:13 »
B & Q have a greenhouse sale on at the moment

You know those glazing clips you're on about well you can now get horizontal bars instead, from Two Wests and Elliott. Less fiddly to fit apparently

izzy

• Experienced Member
pvc
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 17:05 »
We have just installed a PVC Greenhouse from Shed store It was delivered in 5days and has gone up easily .We have sunk 4 fence posts in the ground two at the back and one in the centre each side We then screwed throung the frame into the fence posts. I can use the back posts to put shelving along.It seems strong enough have to wait for the next gale :lol: Alot of people lost glass last week .I'm always a bit unsure about glass on a site.

Izzy

blue_cortina

B&Q greenhouses
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 18:27 »
FYI:  On our allotment recently - two greenhouse got wrecked by the wind - one was clearly horticultral glass (messy) and the other 1mm poly...I think at least some of the pol panel just blew away - although many smashed...

xx
Greenhouses

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 13:01
by The Red Baron
xx
Pop-up greenhouses

Started by surbie100 on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 12:33
by JayG
xx
Greenhouses

Started by JazzyJ on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 09:16
by Harry Flashman VC
xx
greenhouses

Started by davethespread on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 16:18
by davethespread

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.