Auctions

• 8 Replies

Jae Dawn

Auctions
« on: January 26, 2011, 18:03 »
Hi,

I happen to find out about a poultry auction that was in Salisbury last Saturday and I went and met a friend there but loved the auction part.  I am in Southend area and was wondering if anyone knew if there was any kind of auction like that in the Essex, Kent, Suffolk, or Surrey area?

Just had so much fun and ended up not getting a hen  :wacko:  Basically due to being dumb blonde and crowd so thick you couldnt get through to get a number to the chicken that you liked.  Which was mostly my fault for getting there a bit late. 

Any way I tried to check around on the site but couldn't find a list of any auctions around the different counties.  I did google but that was pretty useless didn't get much response on it.  Thanks ....

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Auctions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 18:08 »
We have  topic for letting members know where there are auctions:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=41159.0

If anyone knows of an auction just let me know by PM and I'll add the information to the topic.

peter rooster

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 18:30 »
Hi

I used Selby auction in North Yorkshire, be carefull at Selby the lots are priced per cage some are priced per bird. I got a marran han and eight chicks for £17  :)not to bad untill 6 were cocks. :( Had they been already sexed?  :ohmy:

peter rooster
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 00:08 »
Still not too bad for a Maran and 2 females (marans?), if the cockerels are marans at least they are dual purpose

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:38 »
I have been to auctions in Hullbridge.  They are run by Urban Chickens (there is a website).  They are currently trying to organise an auction however, they are having problems finding a hall that will allow poultry. 

I live near Lakeside and I'm on the look out for a different supplier (I normally go to Smilers in Pitsea), so if you know of any, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.  There's nothing wrong with Smilers - I think he's very good but he deals with more hybrids than pure breeds; I'm looking for buff orpingtons in particular. 
Melody
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 12:28 »
if the Marans were cuckoo Marans then yes you can sex them by their colouring  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

peter rooster

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 19:51 »
Hi

Yes the chicks were all marrans 8) and I thought I could sex by the shade off black/grey :nowink:. However it did not seem to work i had to get rid off the cocks due to crowing, I left it as late as possiable to ensure they were cocks and not just noisy hen but they did full cockadoodle :ohmy: (all day) and had full combs. (it is the first farmed meat I had eaten in 22 years I normally only eat game I have shot). At the same auction two lots 20 and 22 warren chicks about 3-4 weeks old only got £4 and £6 for each lot ! :D

peter rooster

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 22:18 »
I have been to auctions in Hullbridge.  They are run by Urban Chickens (there is a website).  They are currently trying to organise an auction however, they are having problems finding a hall that will allow poultry. 

I live near Lakeside and I'm on the look out for a different supplier (I normally go to Smilers in Pitsea), so if you know of any, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.  There's nothing wrong with Smilers - I think he's very good but he deals with more hybrids than pure breeds; I'm looking for buff orpingtons in particular. 
Melody
pity you are so far away, I have far too many feathered friends and I have decided the Buffs just have to go  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 22:23 »
I have decided the Buffs just have to go  :(

If they are "Free to a Good Home" you can offer them in our "Poultry Swap Shop"  If you want to sell them we have a "Classified" section (free to members) - Link at the top of the page.

xx
Poultry Auctions

Started by Feeb on The Hen House

53 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 16:10
by Foxy
xx
poultry auctions

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 20:45
by joyfull
xx
Market/auctions..

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 11:27
by Piglit's Pullets
xx
poultry auctions

Started by cornfed on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 18:37
by cornfed

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 40 queries.