which chickens do i choose?

• 17 Replies

thegoodlife

« on: August 17, 2008, 09:06 »
Hi, I am new to keeping ckickens, and forums. I want to choose some chucks for my kids that are friendly, decent layers and wont fly over a 6ft fence into my neighbours garden.
Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.... Thanks...Mark :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:56 »
Hi Mark welocme to the forums  :D  you can expect loads of replies  :lol:

Me I'd go for hybrid warrens, smallish friendly bird, lays very well and usually very friendly. And doesn't go broody as a general rule even if they do they soon forget  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 12:45 »
Welcome from me too Mark.

The only breed I know about is Amberlinks so i won't try to influence you at all, but Richy knows his stuff.

I'll pop this thread into the Hen House, where you may get more answers.

Pop over to the Welcome forum to introduce yourself to a wider audience.

Rob 8)

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 13:13 »
Hi Mark!

I'm a newbie myself and you'll DEFINITELY be getting some great advice/support off the guys here  :D

With regards to neighbours and chooks here's what I decided on. I live in a terraced house so am short of space and have neighbours in close proximity, so I decided on no cockerels as I didn't want the morning call to annoy the neighbours! This doesn't affect egg production etc.

I also decided on 'Bantam' rather than 'Large Fowl' basically smaller chickens, which give a proportionally smaller egg. Because my garden is smaller it makes sense to have smaller chooks!

The next decision I had to make was what kind? As there are only 2 of us (well 3 in November!!) living here full time I only need a few eggs. And with deciding on 4 chooks they didn't really need to be brilliant layers, good, but not exceptional. This coupled with the fact that my kids come to stay with me every now and again they needed to be friendly so I've gone with a White Silkie - not a brilliant layer but cute as hell!!  :lol:  a Lavender Pekin, average layer but VERY friendly and a great character! I'm in the process of getting a Buff Orpington, ok layer I believe, but is a  very friendly breed and a lovely looking bird. I'm also gonna be getting a Wyandotte (possibly silver laced, or partridge...not decided yet?) which I believe are good layers. So with those 4 chooks I would hope to get half a dozen eggs or so a week?

None of these types are particularly 'flighty' so they won't be trying to fly over my fence but if you are going to get other more flighty breeds, and your not planning on showing them, you can always clip their wings? (good video of how to do it on youtube!)

I bought all mine close to POL (point of lay) which means they are due to start laying soon....still waiting for the first egg!  :lol:

Good luck finding your chooks...beware though...they're very addictive!

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 17:42 »
Amberlinks are good...but very greedy! If you have quite a lot of them ie 12 they can get frantic when you feed them....they all rush at once and won't let anything stand in the way of food!!!! :)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 19:18 »
polands !!!

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 20:24 »
Sorry Babe - what kind was that? I don't think I quite heard it!!

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 20:30 »
Light Sussex!  They are smart, hardy and friendly (esp when theres food involved) and good layers.  Although one drawback - I have the bantam form and they are persistent broodys (but very good mums!)

Debz

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 21:24 »
I agree with Richy.  I have 3 warrens who lay every day and even when they get out of their run for a bit of free ranging, they never wander away from the run and are easily tempted back in with lettuce or spinach.

Debz

chickchick

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 22:25 »
i have a ISA brown, belle blue, bovan nera, speckledy, light sussex and sussex reverse and they are all very friendly, my belle blue has so far laid the most eggs. weve had the first 3 on the list 1 month and the last 3 10 days and all have fitted in well (had a little squabble when they met) but all good now. all  love being stroked and trot around garden happily!
its absolutely great

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 23:03 »
Quote from: "blulagoo"
Sorry Babe - what kind was that? I don't think I quite heard it!!

just in case you cant feel it boogylugy.... im slapping you  :D

FCG

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 00:07 »
Aggie if what you say is true than my amberlink must be abnormal! Being the youngest by a week or two she was quickly put into the bottom rung of my girls pecking order and it is very obious she gets less food. However whenever we try to give her more than the others (putting squashed snails in the run and only letting her in it etc) never touches it! However she is a devil for pellets while the others scoff my gardens greens.

thegoodlife

thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 21:08 »
Thanks to you all for replying, i have now got three hybrids pullots. They came on thursday and are already a big hit with the kids. Lydia, Polly & Lulu ( the chickens) eat out of my wifes hand and i am hoping to let them wander the garden on Monday. I hope to be a regular on the forum, once again thanks to you all and sorry for the delayed reply... Mark

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 21:53 »
Happy you have your hennies but Mark where are the.....

thegoodlife

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 22:02 »
Will do some photos of them in the garden on Monday :oops:

exclamation
how to choose chickens

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 17:43
by ANHBUC
xx
Too many to choose from - help

Started by babe on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 21:56
by babe
xx
What breed to choose?

Started by Redgoat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 19:57
by Pretty Chick
xx
Which type of chicken to choose?

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 15:00
by looe-looe-belle

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 34 queries.