Poly tunnel - cost effective?

• 12 Replies

Kirpi

Poly tunnel - cost effective?
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:16 »
Especially with the rubbish weather we have had over the past 18 months, I am starting to think about the possibility of using a polytunnel as a way of extending my growing year, growing more things that are expensive in the shops - tomatoes, peppers, salad stuff, maybe sweet potatoes, etc and having somewhere I can control the environment a bit and actually do some gardening.

My approach would be to run a four year rotation on my outside beds and divide the polytunnel into a four year rotation as well, but instead of brassica (which don't like it warm) I would put strawberries in their place.

I can afford space for a 10 x 20 foot tunnel. Not sure about prices yet so I may need to pull back a bit there.

My concern is are they cost effective? Do you ever get your money back?  Is a bigger tunnel more cost effective than a smaller cheaper to buy initially? Any suggestons?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: Poly tunnel - cost effective?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:44 »
I would certainly be interested to know this as well. Potentially I have the space I can extend into and create a polytunnel (at the moment it is a waist high jungle so it will be a project for the autumn/winter but I had also thought about turning this into an area for small fruit trees so it would be good to know what the potential advantages are for a polytunnel

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 13:03 »
I can't answer your question, but have you checked your allotment rules - we're not allowed polytunnels on ours...

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 15:17 »
It's cost effective as long as it doesn't get blown away in a gale! ::) :lol:

shaun_darbs

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 18:53 »
ours was fine this week, had 65 mph winds and the thing didnt budge. the plastic cover that goes over the frame is buried about 1ft so that kept it sturdy. we got ours from ebay for around £60 inc postage. has galvanized poles so they dont rust.

we got the 19mm poles and 4.2 mtr long
 they have 25mm poles but cost alot more
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fully-Galvanised-Steel-Frame-Polytunnel-Greenhouse-Pollytunnel-Poly-Tunnel-New-/380565726830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item589b7c266e
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 18:55 by shaun_darbs »

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 19:09 »

Our poly' will be 2 years old this year. I cheated alot when I built mine, got all the stuff off building sites (perks of my job), except for the bolts for the pipes and boards and the cover.

If I could roughly work out the cost, and when it would be 'paid for', due to my costs being lower, I'd hazzard a guess that mine will be paid for by either the end of this year, or the end of next year depending on how much I grow in it.

I learn't last year, I actually didn't have enough in it, there was quite large gaps between the tomato plants.

After seeing peoples' photos on here of their polys', I'll be ramming it full this year!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 20:23 »
I also bought one of the eBay tunnels with galvanised frame, though I got the 25mm version, and I've been very pleased with it. Mine has also stood in some very high winds. The frame is very solid but you can't expect the cover to last too long, but even if you replaced it every year it would still be cheap. And if you wanted to, you could always buy standard poly sheet to put on the frame once the cover wore out. Mine is 6m X 3m and I have four raised beds in it so I can rotate a bit. I've had it for 18 months now and I have things growing in there all year round.

Don't feel you can only grow the hot weather stuff though. I experimented with all sorts last year and did well with cabbages, chard, leaf beet, spinach (last year's still cropping), early mangetout (doing early French beans as well this year), early new spuds, carrots, kohlrabi, radish, spring onion, beetroot, swede (did well but won't be doing that again because they were too big), celery, as well as the obvious salad and tender stuff like lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergines, peppers, courgette (just did one Parthenon for early/late crops). I like growing the leafy crops in there because the leaves are always perfect, no holes or weather damage. I didn't do so well with melons last year, but it was a pretty bad summer.

Kirpi

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 22:19 »
I'm pretty sure I would be the laughing stock of my allotment if I constructed one of those on my plot. Everyone else seems to have spent considerably more for those types you have to dig a trench all round to firm it down.  Mind you - they are all as vulverable to the local oiks with their Stanley knives.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 23:25 »
I think my old polytunnel has more than paid for itself.

We got it in 2006 from a little nursery that was closing down for £60.  It was 30ft long, but Brian made it 24ft long to fit the space.  It is 20 foot wide.

When I researched, they reckon you shouldn't re-use the polythene if you take it down then re-erect it.  We did re-use the polythene which was already 5 years old, and now its had another 7 years of use.

Needs a new poly now, but as I am hoping we can sell this place soon, it isn't worth the cost.

But thinking about all the lovely tomatoes, peppers, chillies, cucumbers and other things I've grown in it.  Well worth it!

Eblana

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 11:17 »
I got mine from first tunnels (hope I am allowed say!). 25 x 14 ft.   I have it about 3 years now and I reckon it will just about break even this year based on the amount of tomatoes, peppers, cukes, strawberries etc. I have gotten out of it.  I didn't do a whole lot of over wintering in it last year but plan on using it more fully this year as I now more or less have my plot and my garden under control and I also will be leaving work at the end of the summer.  In the last three weeks 4 new PT's have gone up on my site so it looks like everyone is either getting PT envy or have decided after the dreadful summer last year that it is the way to go.

kitch

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 12:12 »
Luv my PT had it 3 years nar its brill
Dunt look at it as whether its cost effective but the enjoyment av had out of it is priceless.

Goldfinger

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 19:30 »

I think, regardless of size, if you use a poly' to it's full potential (year round etc), it'll pay for itself in no time.

Bigger the poly - more the cost but more stuff you get into it....

Wonder if a graph would help here....?  :blush:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 07:19 »
It would be cost effective if you built one from plans and photos readily available on these forums and the wider internet, using reclaimed materials and at worst the cost of a few lengths of timber and some screws. You can build it as robust as you want and design it with a surrounding trench.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:40 by arugula »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
Poly tunnel

Started by novice-amanda on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 12:39
by arugula
xx
My first poly tunnel

Started by Ferris on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 18:18
by Ferris
xx
poly tunnel

Started by veg lover on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 18:31
by mashauk
xx
poly tunnel

Started by jonnyjamup on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2016, 16:45
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 39 queries.