Administering oral medication

• 8 Replies

helens-hens

Administering oral medication
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:14 »
Am on the 3rd day of giving ABs to Henrietta. I generally have to do it by myself and I think she is getting wise to it as it is getting harder each time!

Sitting down with her underneath my right arm (I also try & put a towel round her) I then try and use my right hand to keep her hed still with my left hand holding the syringe but its becoming really difficult.

I had a look on youtube but there 1 person was holding the hen and a 2nd administered the medication. Has anyone any tips for managing by yourself?
Helen

compostqueen

Re: Administering oral medication
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 14:13 »
I, like you, always ended up doing the job on my own. It's very difficult.  My feisty ginger hen would actually stretch her neck away from me to make it even harder  :D  I had some straw bales in my run, which I'd sit on so at least I was stable.

It might be easier to do it when they've gone into bed, and are more amenable to being handled. I know it will be dark but get yourself a light of some description and all the tackle assembled ready, including getting the medicine into the syringe

Good luck  :)

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 15:13 »
Thanks for the reply compostqueen. I have been taking her out of the hen house when it is dark (morning and evening) and then take her into the house and try and do it sitting at a table, so at least I can see what I am doing (or trying to do!). Henrietta is the same as your ginger hen - the speed at which they can stretch / shorten / and move their necks is amazing !

At least I now know that I am not the only one who struggles  :)

Thanks again

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 19:32 »
Does this method work on dogs and/or children? :lol: :D

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 19:55 »
I find this works:
You put them on their backs on your lap, and wait for them to stop struggling.  Then they relax, and you can tuck them up more into your arm so it is comfortable.  Then, hold open the beak with one hand, and squeeze the syringe with the other. 
This can take some practicing though!  :blink:
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:19 »
I managed it in record time this morning, about 1 min  :D. I sit down and have her on my right hand side, partly supported by my leg and right arm. Doing it this way means she has nothing to push down on with her feet so she is a bit more controllable and that makes it slightly easier to get hold of her head and pop the syringe in her mouth.

I am counting the number of times left.... only another 8 doses to go!

Thanks again

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 17:57 »
Only way I've won is to roll in a towel, hold between knees and use one hand to open beak and other uses syringe. It's useful to work the syringe a few times before using for real as they 'stick' (how do you know I'm not a nurse?).

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 22:01 »
Only way I've won is to roll in a towel, hold between knees and use one hand to open beak and other uses syringe. It's useful to work the syringe a few times before using for real as they 'stick' (how do you know I'm not a nurse?).

Right, I'm going to try this way in the morning. I assume the chicken's rolled in the towel, not me?  :tongue2:

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38 »
 :lol:  It's a game innit. Good luck with it  :)  I've seen this chicken on its back thing and it seems to calm the bird right down and make them instantly chilled out  :)  That's got to be a boon  :)

xx
Administering Flubenvet

Started by Beakybird on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 13:44
by Robster
xx
Medication

Started by grenhouse on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 20:27
by Kate and her Ducks
question
Mixing medication?

Started by treacle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 16:32
by Foxy
xx
Treating/medication

Started by red on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 10:00
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 38 queries.