Gettin' on a bit - but still gardening!

• 38 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Gettin' on a bit - but still gardening!
« on: April 21, 2019, 11:56 »
Well that's it then, I'm on the run down.  I'm only filling my 2 gall' galvanised watering can half full.  Any other signs out there?

Cheers,  Tony :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:54 by mumofstig »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mrs bouquet

Re: Gettin' on a bit.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 14:28 »
Me as well, can't lift it completely full.  Lots of other heavy things I definitely struggle with too.   :lol:   But we are still out there doing something and that's what is important.  So many give up now - but not us  ::)  Mrs Bouquet 
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 19:57 »
On the plus side you are getting twice as much walking exercise

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:17 »
Taking two steps instead of one in my case!

My elderly neighbour suggested that she just did a maximum of one hour doing any gardening job, but paced the whole garden work over several weeks!

Works for her! She's eighty-three and as fit as a fiddle, so I'm following her ways, but as a sprightly 71 year-old, can take a few chances as well...

Yesterday for instance, it was doing the lawn edges properly, then starting to build the bean frame (didn't work - back to canes), and so it goes on, but slower...

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 11:34 »
Taking two steps instead of one in my case!

My elderly neighbour suggested that she just did a maximum of one hour doing any gardening job, but paced the whole garden work over several weeks!

Works for her! She's eighty-three and as fit as a fiddle, so I'm following her ways, but as a sprightly 71 year-old, can take a few chances as well...

Yesterday for instance, it was doing the lawn edges properly, then starting to build the bean frame (didn't work - back to canes), and so it goes on, but slower...

Also a 71yr old (for a few months more) and noticed I have to swop jobs as if I bend down any longer I will never straighten up again. Also have drag bags of compost from the car as too heavy to lift and forget the super economy size, did I really used to lift that ?
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 15:38 »
There's nothing wrong with doing things slower because when you have a breather you notice nature and other lovely things you didn't see before because in the past you were too busy trying to get gardening jobs done in the bit of short time you had at the weekend. OH and I are very blessed because we're both retired and can pick and choose what to do each day as to what are the priorities and how we feel. Today has been one of those examples because we got some new chooks and a cockerel but their large pen needing mending. Apart from sorting that out most of the day I heard a chiff-chaff, buzzard, gold finches, skylarks and saw my first swallows.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 18:21 »
  I'm still a full time worker at 61 (would have retired if it hadn't been for the sisterhood,thanks ladies) but have to walk slow round the garden due to a very friendly blackbird that gets so close to me he nearly trips me up.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 06:41 »
Goosey makes a good point here...

So yes, we may be retired, and possibly a bit achy, so the two really go together, don't they?

Mrs B mentions bending down slowly, and dragging instead of lifting, and I well understand that nowadays, so I suppose it's a matter of reality and common sense, (the last bit we should have learned by now), and making do with what we have left!

Although we've given up 'The Patch', I still have so much to do outside, that the list gets longer every day, and the mental position is on safer ground now, because I don't have to worry about digging and weeding 32 beds, mowing all the paths etc, and can concentrate on getting the home garden looking spick and span - which is an absolute pleasure for just an hour or two a day!

This post started by Tony will hopefully become a long-term reminder for all here, as I just love seeing comments from like-minded chums, all facing the next few years, with perhaps a little more time, and a little less energy...

(exit Growster, with a rolled up copy of a Stannah lift quotation)...;0)

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 09:04 »
Tis me doing the dragging Growster and off to get more compost today (Garden Centre double points for oldies on Tues)
Re stairlifts, Do you know that feeling of forgetting something the minute you've reached the top stair and not remembering it until you get down again ? Well nature gives us oldies that gift to keep us fit, would you have walked that many steps otherwise ?  :lol: :wacko:

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 09:10 »
I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry at this thread, reading all your wonderful replies I can see it all inching closer to me by the year/month/week, and it’s quite frightening. Still being under 60 but happily being able to take early retirement I think at the moment I might have the best of both worlds 😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 12:05 »
Goosey makes a good point here...

So yes, we may be retired, and possibly a bit achy, so the two really go together, don't they.

(exit Growster, with a rolled up copy of a Stannah lift quotation)...;0)

That has really made me laugh,  we may be a bit slower and more achy, but we haven't lost or sense of humour and we can also laugh at ourselves.

Did you see the programmes about celebrity OAPs, trying to work out new technology, so funny.    Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 12:36 »
Mrs B, spring chicken!

Always come here for a laugh and a poke at life as we see it!

I really mean it when I'd like to see a permanent subject post on getting a little bit older and how one copes, I suppose I should ask John...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 12:50 »
I really mean it when I'd like to see a permanent subject post on getting a little bit older and how one copes, I suppose I should ask John...
Well, after my years on this forum, the worst that can happen is demotion  ::) John is AWOC (absent without computer) for a few days, so I've made an executive decision  and stickied this thread  :lol:
Post away to your heart's content.......

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 14:20 »
Getting old has it's drawbacks (and bad backs) but being retired really is great  :D you do forget when it is a weekend of course, it's when you're family remember you and descend to eat you out of house and home and then there are things called bank holidays where all the workers block the roads up and spoil our fun  :lol: :D :wub:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 22:46 »
although a little younger than some of you I am now noticing a change.
I will pick up the fork and my back complains before I start!
I now dig/fork a four (spade) width row a day instead of a whole bed.
I will muck in what is required before it is to be planted instead of the while plot minus the root bed.
My knees complain for days after any digging or wheelbarrowing muck.
I am also finding transplanting is becoming a little bit of a strain and of course I am getting more grumpy  :lol:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Gardening serendipity

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 21:46
by mumofstig
xx
Indoor gardening

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post January 11, 2024, 16:46
by wighty
xx
Fantasy gardening

16 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 17:03
by wighty
clip
Gardening assistants

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2018, 11:28
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 54 queries.