Red Mites

• 7 Replies

boybrown

Red Mites
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:25 »
Hi folks,

We had a major infestation a few weeks ago (I mean major too!). I use Smite powder and spray and took the whole coup apart and soaked the lot including all screw holes. I used the podwer in the new bedding and also in the cracks...they are still emerging a couple of weeks in. How long will the life cycle last?

I'm spraying all cracks each morning in their coup and all poo is cleaned up daily. They also have a dry soil bath area.  The chickens are fed well with layers pellets, corn (afternoon only) and shell. They lay each day and look bright alert and healthy.

Does anyone else use Smite and can vouch for its' effectiveness? I'm starting to doubt it works although it came recommended by a poulty supplier. 

They are disgusting little creatures (not nice when I was cleansing the coup as they crawled all over me) and i'd really like to get it sorted as they must be incredibly irratating for the chickens at night. I take looking after my birds seriously so want to get on top of this.

Any suggestions as always gratefully received

alancane

• Experienced Member
Re: Red Mites
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:41 »
Are you powdering your ladies as well at the same time? Or using Frontline?

Just wondered with all the hard work you are going to that some may be on the ladies and then it starts all over again?
There is a lot of talk on this forum with making a diatom slurry and painting that on - maybe give that a try?
Alan

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:21 »
Hi

I've had the same problem for the first time this year.  If you read my threads...'what am I dealing with ' and 'Update on my red mite problem' you will find lots of  advice.

I used Ficam W to clean my shed and Frontline on my hens.  I can honestly say the effect has been remarkable!.  Last night I handled all my hens and didn't find one little mite crawling on me afterwards. 

The stress of the last 2 weeks has been dreadful for me and I'm sure the hens but I can really see light at the end of the tunnel at last.  Still got 'cleaning and spraying' to do for a few weeks to eradicat everything but I'm nearly there.

parsleypig

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 16:09 »
We came back from holiday at the beginning of the month to a serious red bird mite infestation.  It was so bad that the girls had moved out and had been roosting outside (and still are).  Horrified we stripped the coop (felt and all); disinfected, torched and did all we could short of burning the whole thing down but that wasn't nearly enough.

I contacted Bowden & Knights (saw them mentioned on here) and Mike Bowden was so helpful, what he doesn't know about pest control is not worth knowing.  Their main business is with commercial poultry production but he was more than happy to help me and my 5 chickens.  He recommended Ficam W.  It is a powerful insecticide so care is needed but one application with a garden sprayer and the mites are gone.  I will have to spray again this weekend just to make sure.  I also Frontlined the girls.  They now look healthier and happier I just need to get them back in the coop at night now!

BTW I have no connection with Bowden & Knights but just appreciated their helpful advice and Ficam W was a fraction of the price that I had spent on other preparations that didn't even work.  I would thoroughly recommend it.

mumsy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 21:27 »
I have previously mentioned this but they can lay dormant without feeding in the soil for up to 9 months......so be vigilant next year.  Do not move anything that has had redmite on it, spray where it is or burn it. They only move on to another place!!  You can check where they are by using white paper, we were able to nail them down to exactly where they where in the ground.  I had major infestation last year & used cimetrol on Bowden & Knights recommendation, this year a minimal infestation & I am extremely vigilant!! Have used Ficam w.  Once you have them it will take a long time to get rid.  Hopefully each year will get less.  The other recommendation is if you have a wooden coop.........burn it!!  I don't have the luxury of being able to afford a plastic one!!  Saying that they did live very happily in the plastic composter!!! I do have an onduline roof on my new coop which has proved itself, no nasties hiding in there!!  Get rid of felt ones if you can!!  Don't use straw as bedding as it is hollow & they hide in that too!!  As it seems they are are carried on wild birds I guess the best solution would be to have a covered run, sort of takes away the free range idea though!!!
Sorry if I am going on abit but I thought you would like to hear other peoples experiences.  I do know people who have lost their girls to redmite, so the more you know the better!!  thanks for reading !!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 21:44 »
I agree with you about Bowden and Knights!  I always speak to Sarah Knights, and she is very helpful.

I use Hemexsan which is their equivalent to Diatom and Poultryshield.  Had to do the breeding house again today, the mites were even hiding in the feeders that I had standing on bricks!  So I've hung them all up now, well the clean ones I put in there!  I've told Brian to burn the 2 wooden nest boxes that were in there, I've got 2 plastic chickboxes now, just need another 2 when I can afford them.

But having 17 chicken houses, mostly with felt roofs, I can't afford to burn them and replace!  but I felt like it today, it took me 5 hours with no break for lunch to clean the house out, poultryshield and hemexsan.

I emptied all the food out of the feeders before I put them in for the wash, but Brian didn't like throwing away half a bag of food!

Because he hardly ever sees the mites, he doesn't understand how important it is to get rid of them.  He keeps telling me I'm paranoid!  But he changed his mind a bit today when I showed him the 1,000's on the bricks!  "Are they dead" he asked  "no Brian they are red and wriggling!"

Once I'd finished, it was clothes straight in the washing machine which luckily is just inside the back door, and straight into the shower!  Ugh, nasty things!

mumsy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 22:09 »
Annie....Brian needs to get that creosote out!!! I can't believe you are infested too!!  You would laugh if you saw us..............stripped off outside the back door!!!!!!!!  At least this year they are not on the dog & haven't bought them indoors!!!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:43 »
I find that a blast with a blowtorch every few months on top of your usual routine (except where flammable products such as creosote have been used, which incidentally is 'professional use only' and illegal for a hobby hen keeper to use.  I'm just saying is all) is best and very satisfying to hear them snap, crackle and pop!

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
mites

Started by RigsVilleBird on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 22:16
by RigsVilleBird
xx
red mites ???

Started by chris rob on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 07:51
by joyfull
xx
Leg Mites

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 08:03
by Jo57

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 39 queries.