Tea Bags

• 23 Replies

mrs bouquet

Tea Bags
« on: February 25, 2020, 10:36 »
I am sure we have talked about this before, probably started by me !     
At the moment I am using Tetley Original, it makes quite a nice strong cuppa.  I just put the bag in a small mug add boiling water, swirl for a minute or two and take it out,  no milk or sugar, I can probably get 2 or 3 drinks from this one bag.     But lately,  it has got very dusty at the bottom of the mug (where tea leaves would have been).  Have I just been unlucky with this box full and got the Friday afternoon sweepings, or have you noticed the same.    The question is, what tea bag do you use ?    I have thought about changing to Clipper.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

MrsPea

Re: Tea Bags
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 14:58 »
That's all we drink Mrs B and found the same thing happening, the last box i opened was fine, as for using it twice i've never heard of that. I buy the big boxes 240 from Iceland when there cheap  :)
I Love my green house

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 15:21 »
I had to chuckle at your topic Mrs B  because my late father in law would never buy tea bags because he said it was the weeping ups  :D

I must admit we have bought several tea bag brands including Tetley but we have stayed with Yorkshire Tea it makes a good cuppa although I have cut down on tea because I was told to balance my beverage so I drink juices my wife  tried to stop me having sugar in my cup of  tea but couldn't

looking at trying herbal tea some of our friends only drink water and lemon and black coffee no milk no sugar same with tea  :ohmy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 15:24 »
I think it's the luck of the draw, sometimes they're dusty sometimes not... still prefer Tetley's though tbh
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 15:24 by mumofstig »

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 16:32 »
Typhoo for me one bag to one cup i have two to three  cups an hour, with two spoons of splenda sugar sub
and Guernsey gold top milk, {we have family on Sark thats where i got the taste for it} its in Tescos
My garden is 120" x 25" and my shed is half down  and i have a camper stove for tea making, fridge/freezer  for a few beers for the warm days when they get to the iow, and my polytunel is down the bottom of the garden so i do not have to keep tramping  up to the house,,,,,my shed is 16" x8" x 8" floor to celing with
double doors,
Colin

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 12:09 »
as for using it twice i've never heard of that.

It's a Chinese tradition. There was a bit on the radio how they actually throw away the first boiling and use it up to 9x. Each time it was allowed to steep there was a subtlety different flavour.
the radio article was about growing tea in Scotland and how it's being exported to China because it has a lovely flavour. The family was having breakfast on a Sunday when a few men from China walked in and sat at the table until their translator arrived.

I'll have a look later and see if I can find it.

wighty

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 19:47 »
I only buy Tesco own and if I went and looked at the 'best before' date it was probably a while ago.  Don't drink tea and I only buy in small quantities in case we get a visitor who would like a cup. The only person I know  who drinks it on a regular basis is my oldest  daughter and it's the same brand as she uses.  She only comes to stay for two weeks a year so about twenty cups a year for her.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 05:55 »
Mrs Growster keeps Assam producers in profit by around mid-morning, but I went off the Tesco Finest/Breakfast after a while, and on the advice of a friend from Mauritius, have got into Yorkshire Gold, on account of the limited mix of tea leaves.

Tesco used to do a ridiculously cheap tea in a red box - it wasn't that bad, and you didn't have to be a builder either!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 20:49 »
PG Tips decaff for me - it's stronger in taste and colour than regular Yorkshire tea, which is the tea of choice for colleagues.  Most decaff teas are soooooo weak it's hardly worth it when you like a decent brew of builder's strength  :wub: :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 21:10 »
Asda own brand for me, had to give up the coffee as it turned out it was the source of my migraine torment. Shove a bag in a cup, dash of milk and leave the bag in till the cup is empty.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 21:38 »
We have Yorkshire hard water for every day use, sometimes York Gold? I'm not a great tea drinker but will easily squeeze 2 mugs from the same bag. I always steep the first for a couple of mins, warm the "second" mug, re-boil the water making sure it's really boiling then pour over the bag.......Mrs Rocket never notices I've only used one bag.
P.G in the workshop....don't ask me why, it's all a mystery :D

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 06:17 »
One problem with making tea in a mug - which we always do, is that the tannin (?) stains just build up over a few days, and make it all look a bit 'basic'.

I usually bleach the lot every now and then, and then give them a good rinse, which is nice for the first day or so...

We did try white tea once, but that didn't last more than an hour or so before being chucked...

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 10:56 »
Husband likes Scottish blend. The pyramid bags also help with the flavour.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 14:24 »
rowlandwells said,
"I had to chuckle at your topic Mrs B  because my late father in law would never buy tea bags because he said it was the sweeping ups".  :D

While in the service of HMtQ or 'er Madge', I visited (along with some chums) the Blue Valley Tea Estate,
 I think just North of Tappah Road in North Kelantan and the manager said just that!  As well as the gatherings from the ventilator blades!

Cheers,  Tony.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:55 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 14:35 »
One problem with making tea in a mug - which we always do, is that the tannin (?) stains just build up over a few days, and make it all look a bit 'basic'.

I usually bleach the lot every now and then, and then give them a good rinse, which is nice for the first day or so...

We did try white tea once, but that didn't last more than an hour or so before being chucked...

Don't denture tablets work as well?   so I'm told .

PG Tips in my mug , one bag usually makes two drinks.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
plastic in tea bags

Started by BumbleJo on Chatting on the Plot

30 Replies
Last post March 30, 2018, 13:09
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Grow bags - too garish...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2020, 19:57
by wighty
moved
MOVED: Toaster Bags

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post January 27, 2023, 12:51
by mumofstig
xx
Seal Easy Bags

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 17:01
by Lardman

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 56 queries.