Help!

• 9 Replies

ches

• Experienced Member
Help!
« on: June 15, 2019, 23:55 »
Hi all,

So I have a bed of beetroot and “rainbow carrots”

They’ve been on for about a week and I have some sign of growth. Both the beetroot and the carrots look like the photo attached.  Seedlings in that carrot beds are not where I sewed them. Could this be birds or are they just weeds. I’m really struggling. Any help is very greatfullt received.
57D2B444-0FC9-4B29-85C9-A82DF8929FFE.jpeg
Ches

Pescador

Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 06:46 »
That doesn't look like a carrot, the leaves are too round. If you only sowed them a week ago they may be a few more days before they emerge.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 10:00 »
First of all dont worry about struggling, honestly things will appear, in real life its not gardeners world as we dont have the off camera crew doing all the hard graft!
Over time you will find methods that suit you.
My method for beetroot is to sow in trays and wait for two real leaves then transplant in the ground at the correct distance apart.
This way you dont have to keep messing with thinning them. I sow enough for a row every 2 weeks and I pick them as baby beets for salads. As we hit August a row will be left to grow on for winter as we like Borscht soup.
I dont grow carrot, its too much hard work and I have seen peeps on our site do everything then can and still get hit by the fly.
The biggest tip I can give you is just simply be patient and worry not.  ;)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 10:57 »
First of all dont worry about struggling, honestly things will appear, in real life its not gardeners world as we dont have the off camera crew doing all the hard graft!
Over time you will find methods that suit you.
My method for beetroot is to sow in trays and wait for two real leaves then transplant in the ground at the correct distance apart.
This way you dont have to keep messing with thinning them. I sow enough for a row every 2 weeks and I pick them as baby beets for salads. As we hit August a row will be left to grow on for winter as we like Borscht soup.
I dont grow carrot, its too much hard work and I have seen peeps on our site do everything then can and still get hit by the fly.
The biggest tip I can give you is just simply be patient and worry not.  ;)

Thank you. It seems reassurance is all I needed.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 12:11 »
Just been on site, I notice that some do their carrots like this so they know where the row is...
Looks like the scrape the trench, sow the seed then fill the trench with compost, this marks the trench out. Pehaps worth a try?
Hope you start to enjoy the allotment

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 12:29 »
I think the red-purple leaves are beetroot. Carrots have a much finer leaf like a little fern. Best thing is to wait and see then give us another post pic.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 15:19 »
I think the red-purple leaves are beetroot. Carrots have a much finer leaf like a little fern. Best thing is to wait and see then give us another post pic.

Will do. Thank you.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 15:20 »
Just been on site, I notice that some do their carrots like this so they know where the row is...
Looks like the scrape the trench, sow the seed then fill the trench with compost, this marks the trench out. Pehaps worth a try?
Hope you start to enjoy the allotment

I’ll grab a bag of compost on the way home and give it a go

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 15:50 »
Useful for id:

Seedling Images

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 17:10 »

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 48 queries.