swiss chard

• 18 Replies

noshed

swiss chard
« on: November 05, 2007, 16:27 »
I been pushing the horticultural envelope this weekend. My Swiss chard was too close togther so I transplanted it. No idea if this will work but my PSB survived. I must do more thinning out of seedlings...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

milkman

swiss chard
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 17:08 »
should work ok with swiss chard - how about sowing seeds in cells - 1 or 2 to a cell, then transplanting? much less thinning effort involved  8)
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

noshed

swiss chard
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 17:10 »
Yes you're right

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
swiss chard
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 19:26 »
I transplanted rainbow chard very sucsesfully earlier this year.
I sowed a whole packet and it all (!) took elsewhere in the wilderness of the plot, none took in the alloted bed. So once it was established I moved it. They have good roots with one big main root if I remember so were easy to move, I did have to water well, but they are fabulous now
Go for it!

muntjac

swiss chard
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 19:30 »
i reckon its should transplant easily for me .. straight to someone elses plot or the skip .. :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink: . i will retract this comment  :wink:  if anyone can tell me how to cook it so that it tastes better than wet warm string  :lol:  :lol:
still alive /............

gobs

swiss chard
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 19:41 »
Stir fry better than cooked (otherwise I share the sentiment or the taste buds) with soy sauce, etc. Asian style.

Leaves: lot of garlic and cheesy oven bake, even small people gobble it up in great amounts. Honest. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

fletch

• Experienced Member
swiss chard
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 23:46 »
i reckon its should transplant easily for me .. straight to someone elses plot or the skip ..     . i will retract this comment  if anyone can tell me how to cook it so that it tastes better than wet warm string  

Totally agree, I inherited a load of it on my lottie in April and felt that I had a duty to try and use it. I tried method after recipe after you name it and in the end I just had to put it down to a "taste" thing (it has none!).

It went the same way as the celeriac I also inherited!!  :shock:
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

Annie

swiss chard
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 23:57 »
We use the leaves for lasagne,in dhal,paella or in curries in winter and spring,withperpetual spinach and late/early spinach you can easily have  leaves when other greens are not available,even in a small space. I have not found a good use for chard stalks though so chop them up and hide in soups and casseroles where no one has yet cottoned on or asked what they are.

Ali

swiss chard
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 17:50 »
Soup or stir fry (with garlic and soy sauce). Madhur Jaffrey does quite a nice recip with tomato, chard, chickpea and garlic.  We had loads of perp spinach as well last year and ended up whizzing it in the food processor then freezing it, having been slowly adding it to soups but it does look small and taste  a bit like grass!

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
swiss chard
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 18:15 »
I crush frozen leaves into curries, pasta sauces, stir fries etc after I've dished up OH's - adds a nice greeny twang to it all!

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
swiss chard
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 19:40 »
I like it... well I LOVE IT!!

Well ok I admit I only like the flavour, but I love how easy it is to grow, it's so productive for a few plants for such a long time, and it is effecctivly 2 vegetables, Oh and it's so pretty! and I feel I ought to eat what I can grow, and not much else is providing me so consistantly with veg.

I shred the leaves and steam them, use butter and or garlic once cooked.
The stems I cut into half moon (like celery) and boil, again a knob of butter to serve.

We have it usually with a roast or sausages, something with gravy.
 I wouldn't say it tastes of nothing though Munty. We had friends at the wekend and we all agreed that it tasts like beetroot (which no one except me likes... :(   )

Buy hey ho....

Bernard

• Experienced Member
swiss chard
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 19:55 »
Well well well ...
when I moaned about the tastelessness of chard earlier in the year it seemed that I was alone but I see now that a few others have the same opinion. I really can't see it as an 'acquired taste' because it has no taste to acquire.
However, I shall probably grow it again on the assumption that it has vitamins and if it is cooked with something that has flavour in a stir-fry or a curry it makes a useful filler.

slugtrap

swiss chard
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 15:55 »
I've sown one Swiss Chard seed in each module and I've now got 3-6 seedlings in each module. Do I transplant these modules in their entirity when the seedlings are bigger or do I need to thin each module to 1-2 seedlings?? Thanks.

noshed

swiss chard
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 16:37 »
Thinning is probably better. I usually just chuck the smallest ones and give the bigger ones a bit more room.

Trillium

swiss chard
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 23:02 »
Whenever I forget to start my chard, I just buy started seedlings. I always separate them when planting out and always get a good crop, provided there's lots of manure for them. They'll need watering for the first short while to get them back on their feet, but 2 weeks should do it if not sooner.

xx
Swiss chard

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 07:15
by sunshineband
xx
Swiss Chard

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 16:36
by Rangerkris
xx
Swiss Chard

Started by Grasshopper on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 22:05
by solway cropper
xx
Swiss chard

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 10, 2014, 08:13
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 35 queries.