Why is Lilith so mean?

• 7 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Why is Lilith so mean?
« on: April 08, 2012, 23:39 »
I posted a month or so ago about my bully chicken and how she keeps pecking everyone else.  I hoped that it was something to do with spring and their hormones going a bit crazy but unfortunately it's still going on.  I've been applying ointments and powders today to the worst two affected and have decided enough is enough- it's time to split Lilith from the Group.  

The main problem is that the main two being bullied crouch for Lilith and so stand there allowing her to peck them.

I'm going to increase the electric fence and partition Lilith off so she can see the others and give her a rabbit hutch with a perch in it for now.  Couple of questions-
Is this going to be a long term thing- do I need to purchase a proper house for her?  
Should I try keeping her and her friend (one that she pecks least often!) separate together so she has some company?

As for the routine and living space they have approximately 20m2 between four of them with natural trees and perches... they have adlib pellets, mash in the mornings, corn in the afternoon and a cabbage hung up once or twice a week.  

I really can't think of anything else to do to keep them happy :-(

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Why is Lilith so mean?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:58 »
It sounds like you have the perfect set up to take her away from the others but in sight, keep her seperate for a while then when she has been re-introduced she should have lost her top hen status within the group, and maybe will settle down. Have you got more than 1 feeder and 1 water station? Is she pulling feathers out?(sorry didn't see your first post)

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:05 »
You do realise you have named her after a demon? Maybe this hasn't helped?  :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:47 »
He he yes!  When she arrived she was always the mean one so we called her Lilith... Maybe she feels the need to live up to her name!!

No, she does do a bit of feather pulling but it's not too bad.  THe main problem is that she breaks the other guys feathers in half so they all look really tatty.  She pecks at the two least dominant bums and necks.

They have three feeding stations and a very big water container.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 17:41 »
 :lol: :lol: One of our dogs is called Diablo which is spanish for the devil and he very much lives up to his name in cheekiness. One day we will learn  ::) ::)

Robbo

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 18:52 »
Hi Nickii I am new here but watch with interest your dilemma, as we have a similar problem but the feathers are pulled right out, we are new keepers , our 4 are our first chicks, and wondered about seperation, I will watch with interst so please tell us if this is successful
Robbo

darren64

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 21:36 »
It sounds like you have the perfect set up to take her away from the others but in sight, keep her seperate for a while then when she has been re-introduced she should have lost her top hen status within the group, and maybe will settle down. Have you got more than 1 feeder and 1 water station? Is she pulling feathers out?(sorry didn't see your first post)
I have had to seperate 1 of my hens from the rest because she was picking on another hen and makeing her life an absolute misery(to the point of Illness)after a couple of days seperated,the bullied hen has perked up 100 %,but how long do I need to keep her seperate?

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 23:27 »
Just need to pick up a couple of feeders for Lilith and she will be on her own... I will keep you posted on how it all goes!!

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 40 queries.