Suitable for...

• 14 Replies

Growster...

Suitable for...
« on: July 19, 2020, 20:44 »
As today is my birthday, I was given a gorgeous present by a Daught, which was, in effect, a fabulous 'Ploughman's Lunch', and the box was superbly packaged, and had directions to keep cool.

Daught in question has always been marvellous in her choice of presents, and we've had a fantastic day, although she couldn't join us!

Looking through all the comestibles, there is a 'Fig and Apple' chutney, which is just gorgeous, and we've squandered that delicacy nearly to the end of the jar already - yum yum...

One thing slightly irks though... why should such a generous gift have to have a printed message 'Suitable for vegans' on the label?

Why do big companies (I won't mention their name but think 'St Michael', and you'll know who I mean), have to even print this? For better or worse, to be a 'vegan' is just a lifestyle choice, as is 'fruitarian', 'vegetarian', and the rest, but why stop there?

What about 'Type 1 Diabetes', 'Type 2' as well, 'Gluten-abhorrence', and all sorts of nasty conditions we are faced with from time to time! Chums here have far worse problems to deal with! One of my closest friends is in the final chemo stages, and as she's so gorgeous and strong, she'll damn-well win! Do they ever print 'warnings' for such lovely people?

As normal carnivores, who actually eat very little meat these days anyway, simply because as above, I'm 73 now, and Mrs Growster is still around 30 - and looks it too, I'm not sure I really want to read these little reminders of a small, percentage of people who desire a lifestyle different from ours, but try make me feel as though we're doing something wrong.

I'm going to question the supplier on this, but feel that we, here on this great forum, all strive to do whatever we can with our veg, fruit, chooks, flowers, cooking etc, we have some sort of common, loving interest in just getting the stuff to grow, lay eggs, burn on the stove etc., rather that have some sort of unusual idolatry bounced at us by certain supermarkets and retailers.

Nobody needs to remind me that there are others to consider in every discussion, but I don't rate 'lifestyle choices' as something so important in a commercial environment.! They can label their stuff to attract whoever they want, but don't charge me with the wonderment of their issues!

Anyway, I have had a fab birthday, and will go and buy some more of their chutney, and take a felt pen with me, to block out the wording on my new jar as I see fit!

Blackpool rocket

Re: Suitable for...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 22:01 »
First and foremost;

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

It can be a bit irksome when all and sundry take the opportunity to seemingly shove something down your throat at any given time.
With labelling though, now, more than ever, the suppliers are merely covering their nether regions on one hand and expressing their "wokeness" on the other.
Conforming to current trends, It matters not a fig to me whether a product is vegan or still mooing, I'll mix and match the two.
If I was so bothered I would no doubt do my own due diligence and draw my own conclusions. Perhaps with a felt pen...OMG I hope that's environmentally sound!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 22:35 »
Don't let it get to you Growster, think of it as just an alternative version of 'vegetarian'
We've got used to seeing that on food, and think nothing of it nowadays, though even that was pretty off-piste years ago, when we were younger, wasn't it?
Goodness me, I even cook some veggie recipes nowadays  :nowink:

I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday Ploughman's no matter how it was labelled  :D

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 22:55 »
Doesn't bother me too much, choice is the most important thing. Personally I'm a huge meat eater and that's not going to change but I have utmost respect for those who let their conscience guide them.
However those that try to inflict their beliefs on others is a different matter...

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 06:53 »
Thanks all...

I really wasn't trying to be churlish, but feel it necessary sometimes to try and balance views rather than bow down to issues such as this!

Any'ow, I had a superb day, and went fast asleep reading a Kay Scarpetta novel, so something went right as well!

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 07:50 »
First of all, I'm glad you had a lovely birthday, Growster, and wish you many, many more to come!

As for vegans etc., I am vegetarian, but would never be so ill mannered as to push my choice down anyone else's throat. I cook meat for my husband, and would never question anyone's right to live, and indeed eat, as they choose.  For some, diet is restricted by health issues, for the rest of us luckier ones it's a matter of personal choice and is nobody's else's business. 

al78

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 09:37 »
Sounds to me like you just don't like vegans. Irrational hatred of minority outgroups?

Why shouldn't they have such a label. It is information such people will find useful, and it doesn't cost anyone anything to provide that information. So what if it is a choice, it is at least a choice which is environmentally and ethically beneficial, which is more than can be said for other lifestyle choices. They also tend to say whether food is gluten free or contains nuts, so it is hardly as if veganism is the only concern.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 10:14 »
Sounds to me like you just don't like vegans. Irrational hatred of minority outgroups?

Why shouldn't they have such a label. It is information such people will find useful, and it doesn't cost anyone anything to provide that information. So what if it is a choice, it is at least a choice which is environmentally and ethically beneficial, which is more than can be said for other lifestyle choices. They also tend to say whether food is gluten free or contains nuts, so it is hardly as if veganism is the only concern.

I think you are missing the point AL.  Why would chutney not be vegan?  I have never incorporated meat, dairy or anything else of animal origin into any I have made.   The only thing that could possible upset a vegan would be if honey was included, but even that would be a fairly unusual ingredient.

They can label their stuff to attract whoever they want, but don't charge me with the wonderment of their issues!

I agree totally Mr G.  Just jumping on a band wagon as vegan = trendy at the moment.  A good money spinner though eh  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 12:15 »
"I agree totally Mr G.  Just jumping on a band wagon as vegan = trendy at the moment.  A good money spinner though eh "...

Oh yes, News - plenty of that going around!

Al, I have no such issues, we have good friends and relations who do often tell us - sometimes to boredom stakes, some not, about all their lifestyles!  I'd be more interested in a great local chap, who craves for 'A plate of beans, nothing else, with butter and salt'! Now I can really identify with him!

And anyway, there's enough blurb on every product these days, most of which I don't understand, so anyone can make their lifestyle choices from the list!

Jay, thank you for that! I'll probably have to re-read the whole chapter later! A great chum who has an allotment here decided to go vegetarian some years ago, and his wife does exactly the same as you, except in reverse, if you see what I mean!

Mrs Growster and I rarely have more than a couple of ounces of any meat, these days; it's a small part of the reason why birthdays seem to come around more often..;0)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 13:13 »
First of all Growster,     Many Happy Birthday Returns, I am so glad you had such a lovely day.

I totally agree with you.  I am sick to death of people trying to tell me how to lead my life.   As dear old Frank sang:   " I'll do it my Way "       :) :) :)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

MrsPea

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 13:21 »
Happy birthday Growster good to hear you had a lovely day  :D

I total agree with you Mrs B  :) there's to many of them around
I Love my green house

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 13:44 »
Happy birthday to you Growster. It would be rather interesting to say the least if they said who it wasn't suitable for!  :nowink: Heard on the Beeb this morning about eating chicken. Some scientists believe it gives you cancer and some believe the opposite. Good job we don't follow all the things some people say about what we should or shouldn't eat because we'd all go completely mad.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 20:59 »
Seems to me that normal, lovely people here just do what normal people do - they just 'get on with it'...

Growsters don't do fantasies any more; it's actual reality which counts!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 11:39 »
The V symbol on products has been there for years without bothering anyone. Most food manufacturers have just expanded that to say veggie and vegan underneath, or just veggie as appropriate.

Reality - that is all that was needed. The rest is marketing hype and as BR says, virtue signalling.  That is always best ignored, so enjoy the rest of your chutney and get the felt pen out if it irks you   :)

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 14:32 »
Thanks News!

Actually, I'd forgotten what the 'V' symbol was..:0( I know there's some sort of red tractor somewhere, but zapping stuff takes quite a lot of brain-power (with me at any rate), and I usually hope that the stuff doesn't come from China or North Korea!

I suppose that some labeling comes from BR's 'virtue signalers' (I love that term), and the same firm wrote on airline nibbles - 'Open packet, eat nuts'!

(BR, that's a great monica you have, where does it originate)?

xx
Is this a suitable bargain for me ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2023, 16:09
by mrs bouquet
xx
Chromecast - a suitable case for treatment...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2020, 22:50
by Wellington

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 54 queries.