Chromecast - a suitable case for treatment...

• 6 Replies

Growster...

Chromecast - a suitable case for treatment...
« on: February 13, 2020, 20:43 »
As we watch about half a percent of live TV these days, we rely - happily - on DVDs and a bit of YouTube on Ipads.

On advice from a Daught, we bought a Chromecast chip today, and after a bit of faffing (mainly because I was using the wrong password, although quite a few 'other Anglo-Saxon' words crept into the discussion with the screen), we've at last been enjoying lots of good old stuff from way back, when we were all allowed to watch stuff without fear of recrimination - all on Youtube and for free!

At £30.00, it is a bit of a gulp just for pure entertainment, and we're not into Netflix - yet, but has anyone here got one of these, as it works for most of the sessions, but not every time. I'm setting some time by tomorrow, (or until Dennis or whatever it's called, subsides), to find out a little more about it all!

Any hints would be appreciated...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Chromecast - a suitable case for treatment...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 21:45 »
Can't comment on Chromecast, but we took the plunge a few years back and ditched Sky for a Firebox and an Amazon Prime sub. Never looked back, plenty of tv available when you want it and we've sinced added Netflix. As we don't use the Beeb we no longer pay a license fee so we've gone from license fee plus £50 ish a month for Sky (football channels included) to £7 for Amazon and £6 for netflix a month. (rough numbers, her indoors does the banking here). Given the fact that gets us free Amazon delivery and other perks too, the mathes looks pretty good!

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 22:10 »
Haven’t watched live tv here since 2008. I did buy a licence to watch the latest David Attenborough on the beeb when they decided you needed a licence for iplayer, but we never watched it all year, so I didn’t bother again. We have Netflix and amazon, and I can buy most things on amazon or iTunes if I should want anything else.

The only thing I haven’t sorted is how to buy BBC content digitally, should I want too. They don’t seem to have thought of that yet (and I mean buy and keep, not just watch)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 23:09 »
Haven’t watched live tv here since 2008. I did buy a licence to watch the latest David Attenborough on the beeb when they decided you needed a licence for iplayer, but we never watched it all year, so I didn’t bother again. We have Netflix and amazon, and I can buy most things on amazon or iTunes if I should want anything else.

The only thing I haven’t sorted is how to buy BBC content digitally, should I want too. They don’t seem to have thought of that yet (and I mean buy and keep, not just watch)

They actively don't want to provide content digitally on a pay basis because it would mean the end of the license fee.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 13:24 »
Never heard of it. I just have Freeview and some well-loved DVDs.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 14:40 »
Never heard of it. I just have Freeview and some well-loved DVDs.

Agree.

We have Netflix, DVDs and Amazon Prime. We ditched the BBC when they stopped supporting our console and we were only watching children's TV. Netflix or Amazon has loads of them and used DVDs are cheap enough.
Also Netflix will go through the series for a decent length of time and doesn't need you to pick the next episode every single time. So you can get a load of house work done without having to put the housework down, pick up the controller, switch it on, put on the next episode and just when your getting into the flow of housework things, the episode ends. Repeat hassle.

But the BBC has an gender pay gap as well as overpaying their big names and I'm not paying for that. As the man on radio Scotland said, paraphrased "they should float their big stars, see if anyone else thinks they are worth the price". He went on to say "the news got someone from Channel 4 and they didn't think them worth the cost of fighting for so the BBC were paying over the odds".

Did anyone hear a recent series of Dead Ringers "Welcome to BBC radio 4, awwww, is netflix down?".

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 22:50 »
I suppose it would do away with the need for a license by degrees. Mind you, DVDs haven’t and it’s still required if you want to watch anything live. I can’t see the licence fee holding out on a longterm basis anyway. Shame, really, but I think the beeb is not what it’s used to be.

xx
In case we do get powercuts

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2022, 17:53
by rowlandwells
xx
Suitable for...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2020, 14:32
by Growster...
xx
Is this a suitable bargain for me ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2023, 16:09
by mrs bouquet
xx
Clasiscal music piano piece for Poirot's last case called "Curtains."

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2023, 09:38
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 46 queries.