"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

RubyR3d

Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #255 on: September 24, 2014, 11:06 »
We are from nottingham and used to go t goose fair every year. My mum is in her 80s and goes for the opening day . She still buys me grantham gingerbread ( you only get it from there it seems) and opens it so its soft by the time I get it. Sounds a big challenge for a little fella wonder how he got on.

8doubles

« Reply #256 on: September 24, 2014, 15:51 »
The Goose Fair is to be with us soon, which prompted the memory of a squirrel dragging an entire coconut down the middle of the road!

Why did 'ICE AGE' spring to mind !  :nowink:

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2014, 16:52 »
I love that gingerbread too, I think they must make it so its a bit chewy in the middle, thats the best thing about it I reckon!

cadalot

« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2014, 06:08 »
I went into a bakers only to find PC signage and Gingerbread Persons on sale  :nowink:

jezza

« Reply #259 on: September 27, 2014, 00:24 »
hi counted 30 red admiral butterflies yesterday most weve ever had also finding dead hedgehogs has any one else found any and does any one know whats killing them     jezza

Springlands

« Reply #260 on: September 27, 2014, 07:42 »
Jezza - this seems to be a red admiral year - lovely to see.  :D I had one land on me when hanging out the washing yesterday.

Do you have a wildlife sanctuary near you - if so you could contact them about the hedgehogs. Otherwise I would suggest contacting Tiggiwinkles who are experts.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #261 on: October 05, 2014, 00:01 »
I saw a squirrel in our front garden!  In 70 years living in Newcastle I have never seen one before! When I tell people, they all ask Was it red or grey?, well, it was grey, but I don't care, it was beautiful :) :)
Anne

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #262 on: October 05, 2014, 13:02 »
We had a long weekend camping near Buttermere last week. Early one beautiful morning, at the start of our walk, we spotted a Kingfisher, a turquoise streak flying fast and low across the lake.

RubyR3d

« Reply #263 on: October 05, 2014, 21:59 »
I saw a squirrel in our front garden!  In 70 years living in Newcastle I have never seen one before! When I tell people, they all ask Was it red or grey?, well, it was grey, but I don't care, it was beautiful :) :)
. Start putting sunflower seeds out to keep it coming. :)

cadalot

« Reply #264 on: October 06, 2014, 07:41 »

My old mum told me that she was feeding one, that it came to the kitchen window and loved a chocolate biscuit. OK Mum well get up early and I will let you feed it...

I did - It did - and later it brought all its children and I'm guessing partner and we use to have them all along the fence eating anything that was passed to them.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #265 on: October 06, 2014, 10:32 »

My old mum told me that she was feeding one, that it came to the kitchen window and loved a chocolate biscuit. OK Mum well get up early and I will let you feed it...

I did - It did - and later it brought all its children and I'm guessing partner and we use to have them all along the fence eating anything that was passed to them.
I think we might have too many cats in the neighbourhood, I think it might have wandered in from the local park.

Aled

« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2014, 09:33 »
Nearly trod on a vividily colured coot yesterday when out fishing saw him swim away through the clear water at my feet.
Nice to see.
Cheers
Aled

Springlands

« Reply #267 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27 »
Spent ages watching a common seal playing in the waves yesterday - they really seem to like it when the sea is a bit rough.  :)

Headgardener22

« Reply #268 on: October 28, 2014, 12:58 »
Its halloween (nearly) and the harlequin beetles are swarming.

The weather's warm, its not too windy and there are loads of Harlequin Beetles swarming around looking for somewhere warm to hide away for the winter. I don't know whether to collect them up and put them in the greenhouse to catch any greenfly that might decide to live on the lettuces or get cross because they are an invasive species that we shouldn't like.

At least I'm not a wine maker. I read somewhere that the Canadian grape growers have to wash them out of their bunches of grapes because if they don't they spoil the flavour when they get squashed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #269 on: October 31, 2014, 14:58 »
I need to share my ridiculous excitement at being able to add a site to the map for Ivy Bees. WE saw some in September when we were on holiday in Broad Haven, and thought they looked like oddly coloured honeybees. There were hundreds of them swarming over the ivy flowers.

On Autumn Watch earlier this week, they showed a clip of --- our bees!! and they are Ivy Bees.

I went on their website, submitted a photo and location and now "our bees" have their very own red dot  on the map... first siting in Pembrokeshire.

How cool is that?  :D :D :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 49 queries.