"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2015, 02:59 »
Saw our first proper sighting of a jackal yesterday. We had stopped to take photos of a bird of prey, then that flew off and a hare was startled, then we saw the jackal pounce on something small in the stubble. It was thereages scouting around for rodents, but a long way off for the cameras and the pictures are not good. They are considered vermin along with foxes and pine martens so are very shy, usually a glimpse crossing the road or a dead one is all you see though you can hear them at night in winter when they come closer to the villages.

Lots happening in the stubble which is fast being ploughed for winter crops.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #391 on: August 08, 2015, 12:00 »
I didn't know you had jackals in your area, Tosca  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

tosca100

« Reply #392 on: August 08, 2015, 12:48 »
Yes, they're a real pest. People who live in remote villages (and some not so remote!) can track their progress through the village by the barking of the farm dogs (loosely applied to the poor dogs kept permanently on a tight chain) and we have heard them even here in the middle of the village on a quiet night. You would think they would be in Africa or somewhere wouldn't you? There are bears, wolves, lynx, vultures and dangerous snakes too :ohmy:

But not in our garden! :lol:

Stree

« Reply #393 on: August 13, 2015, 21:24 »
Watched a hummingbird moth in the garden...............delightfully busy thing............

tosca100

« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2015, 11:02 »
....and impossible to photoraph. How do they do it?

allotmentann

« Reply #395 on: August 14, 2015, 13:27 »
I would love to see a hummingbird moth.
Tosca, it is always exciting seeing new wildlife isn't it? A shame you couldn't get good photos but that is most often the way.
We were camping last week l got my first close hand look at chipmunks. There were also loads of beautiful golden mantled ground squirrels. I also saw my first bald eagle. No camera at all on me for that as l was in my kayak and don't trust myself not to drop anything valuable into the water.  :nowink:

tosca100

« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2015, 15:47 »
Strangely, yesterday we saw a young jackal close up on the road before it melted away, and a pond turtle (terrapin) today. Someone has been down and stolen the river....it was there last week but this week it's a weed filled stream. But easier to see the fish and frogs an turtles.

Stree

« Reply #397 on: August 20, 2015, 22:15 »
Sort of nature post.......... A week or so ago I bought a mobility scooter........2nd hand, £100 ..... its fine..... Been on  a couple of runs alongside Humber, which is fringed with nature reserves...............Fist time for ages I have been away from buildings cars roads etc.. can only walk a short distance, so a revelation......................and stage 2....................Family member works for Sony, and through them got a nice compact camera, a Sony HX90..........30 times zoom........so should get some nice nature pics..............
What a change from just a month ago when nearest I got to nature apart from the garden was the Lidl veg section...................

allotmentann

« Reply #398 on: August 21, 2015, 12:47 »
Yes, there is something about being out there that is good for the soul. I have never been somewhere like that and returned home feeling worse. And having pictures to look back on makes it all the more enjoyable.

Stree

« Reply #399 on: August 21, 2015, 19:02 »
The Humber is a tidal estuary, occasionally bothered by vikings and such, and especially alongside  the section closest to the sea it has extensive wetland areas which are designated mature reserves noted for its bird life and dragonflies. No doubt lots of other creatures too.
Have only passed alongside the reserves so far but intend to take the inner trails very soon.All flat and level paths.
However, on the ride along the pathway that fringes them the other day I was surprised by what flora grew there........all the usual reeds etc  but also a bright yellow vetch, cranesbill geraniums, masses of teasel. giant marestails, plus others, and I was surprised to see some I did not readily recognise...............and I like to think I have a fair knowledge of British flora and fauna...................So in the little basket on my zippalong-mobile, will go my British wildflowers compendium and British insects, moths and butterflies encyclopedia...........
and hopefully my new camera, my monocular ( which is really binoculars with one side missing some vital glassware).

Snoop

« Reply #400 on: August 22, 2015, 07:29 »
Stree, really good to hear you're getting so much pleasure getting out and about. Happy scootering! :)

tosca100

« Reply #401 on: August 22, 2015, 15:00 »
Jackal in the same field this morning

Stree

« Reply #402 on: August 25, 2015, 18:56 »
Thanks for the kind comment snoop!

Went to the nature reserve at the weekend, glorious day, scorching sunshine and no wind..........perfect.
The visitor centre was open so called in to see about taking a trail on my mobility scooter.
Aha.....one lady who works there has been working on such a guide for the various trails............Some are far too steep or rugged, but she has begun to mark out those that are feasible. Intended mainly for wheelchairs, but if they can do it then I should be able to........So got a route map on a piece of A4 and off we went.
Variable surfaces, some a bit rutted, some very uneven, some with hardcore to bind soft soil, but all were passable........Saying that, if I had taken a pint of milk it would have been cheese by the end with all the joggling and bouncing about...........But it did it.Stopped at a bird hide, stopped to look at the various sites, plants, trees and so on...So good to be out in the thick of the greenery.....This was really an exploratory ride, just to see if it was passable for me.Will do it more slowly next time and take the camera..........
So thats one route sorted........
I have sent an email to the lady who is working on the disabled routes and offered to help as a "user"
Be nice to be useful.
Lovely visitor centre, well worth a visit.

Snoop

« Reply #403 on: August 25, 2015, 22:27 »
That's great news, Stree. I'm sure they'd appreciate real feedback too.

Impressive photo, Tosca. That is one purposeful animal!

8doubles

« Reply #404 on: September 03, 2015, 10:48 »
Had the first Wolf indoors this autumn, spider that is !
Tried to usher it outside but it had other ideas so i let it be !

Saw it again the next day, it was being eaten by  a Harvestman !
I knew they ate spiders but i imagined them being little ones not a Wolf with a body six times the size of the Harvestman !

It should have gone outside when i said ! :nowink:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:50 by 8doubles »

xx
Clasiscal music piano piece for Poirot's last case called "Curtains."

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2023, 09:38
by Goosegirl
xx
"A piece of pie", by Damon Runyon...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post November 29, 2020, 06:17
by Growster...
xx
Downloading "Kon Tiki" to read.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2022, 18:35
by Yorkie
xx
Collecting "Non-sensitive" data

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2019, 15:28
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 49 queries.