Bedtime Dilema?

• 4 Replies

danmegal

Bedtime Dilema?
« on: August 16, 2009, 20:59 »
My broody Emma hasn't had anything to do with chicks (5 wks) today, which I presume to be normal considering their age, she has spent all her day dust bathing in the sun with the other 2 grown ups. Tonight she did not want to go to bed with the babies despite their distressed calls, so I shut the other 2 away and eventually she went into the broody hutch with the chicks. Are the little ones old enough to sleep alone already? I read that the mom normally leaves the chicks at around 8 wks, what to do for the best?

Foxy

Re: Bedtime Dilema?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 21:02 »
well I have ahd 2 broodies decide enough is enough! I think chicks raised by a mum are a bit hardier than raised inside with a heat lamp, so if mum thinks they are old enough then they probably are! :)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 21:04 »
My Wyandotte had had enough of the chicks when they were 5 weeks old and decided she off into the big house with her mates and like your chicks they called and called until she had no choice than to go back to them basically to shut them up!

If mum is back with the chicks then that is fine she is just testing the water to see what their reaction is so she may try and leave them again tomorrow night.................nature will take its course as and when.................don't worry.

danmegal

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 21:08 »
Thanks that is what I thought, I was just worried about them getting cold, but I guess they will huddle together!

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 22:42 »
when my broody decided to go back in the main coop her chicks went with her they huddled up together in the corner, tonight mum went on the perch leaving the chicks on their own in the corner so I hope everything will be alright.
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

xx
Dilema?

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 20:44
by danmegal
xx
Dilema

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 23:02
by ANHBUC
xx
Duck dilema

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 09:37
by Spana
xx
Bedtime

Started by uba on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 22:33
by jhub

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 38 queries.