Greenhouse too hot?

• 2 Replies

mclarkuk1

Greenhouse too hot?
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:36 »
I potted up my tomatos, aubergines and cukes about 2 weeks ago into 10" pots and put them in the ghouse.

All the toms have trusses and are about 18 - 20 " tall. They havent seemed to have had any, if a very little amount or growth since potting them up. The highest leaves start very dark green and then turn quite yellow towards the tips and around the edges......

The Aubergines havent done anything, the leaves on one plant have what looks like scorch on them but as with all my plants im very carefull not to wet the leaves when watering........

The cukes are my main concern, they are getting on for 3ft tall each with 6 little cukes on. Now they seem strong, have alot of leaves which are very large. The cukes since i potted them up havent noticable grown in size, now the quantity gets more, probably notice 1-2 new cukes per week but the first ones havent individually grown in size yet. Does this happen once the plant has had its top picked out or what?
Also i have the smae problem with the leaves, they leaves half way up the plant are very dry and look like they have scorch on......

...............Is the cause of my problems anything to do with my greenhouse being too hot? On the hottest days its been getting to about 45deg C. and generally on average temp days its anywhere between 30 - 38 deg C.

Another potential issue is that half the greenhouse is glass, is the direct sunlight getting too much for them? I wouldnt have thought this would be the issue so long as the leaves werent wet so the sunlight doesnt scorch them.

Any help please will be GREAT!!!!!!!  :D

mclarkuk1

Re: Greenhouse too hot?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:48 »
I just read somewhere that cukes in greenhouses like some form of shade or protection from direct sunlight, and benefit from a micro climate to keep them damp. This is my problem im guessing  :tongue2:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhouse too hot?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:57 »
You're right with the cukes ;) drape some polysheet over them and mist spray them underneath it :)

Even toms (under glass) will dry to a crisp without some shading, though.
Either paint the glass with 'coolglass' or fix up some shading, old net curtains will do the trick.

xx
new greenhouse nearly done

Started by LILLILEAF on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post December 25, 2016, 15:34
by oldgrunge
xx
Greenhouse already 35 oC

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 12:41
by hubballi
xx
New Greenhouse

Started by Eblana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 09:31
by mumofstig
xx
Got Another greenhouse.

Started by Ma Lowe on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 23:39
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 40 queries.