The drought

• 6 Replies

noshed

The drought
« on: August 05, 2010, 14:41 »
My bean plants are only about 4' high and the beans look a bit wizened. Most of my toms have got blossom end rot. My sweetcorn is 9" high. My cabbages have mealy aphids. My beetroot and spuds are lovely but it's quite hard to dig the spuds. My rasberries are looking a bit sad. My lettuce have bolted.
My sage and marjoram are fine.
My dahlias, begonias and geraniums are looking good though, so I've got something for our allotment open day.
So over the next few weeks I'm going to clear off most things, sow a couple of beds of green manure and top dress most of the rest with manure, if it ever rains.
And I've got a load of cabbage seedlings to plant out as soon as I can work out a way of keeping them hydrated until they get going.
It's a game this gardening isn't it?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 16:39 by noshed »
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: The drought
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 14:46 »
Same here, no rain except a few useless drops for weeks now.  I'm on a water meter and have given up using the hose to save money.  Barrels have been empty since forever.

Going to make absolutely sure we have a wet summer next year by fixing water butts everywhere over winter.

It's a game indeed. :(
Cheese makes everything better.

andy135

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 15:21 »
It's rained every day for the last three weeks here. Everything is soggy and I daren't put a foot on the soil.  :(  There's a lot of anual weeds that need hoeing but the whole thing just turns to a soggy mess. I've been thinking of ordering 40 tons of prime english oak and trying to find self-build plans for the ark on the web.  :lol:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 15:47 »
Sick of the rain here, bucketed it down today.  I know that now I've got a holiday but cant do any heavy work at the lotty over the next 6 weeks it will be beautiful!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 22:43 »
People make jokes about the rain in Cumbria but it's not been too bad up here. May and June were very dry but we've had enough rain now to help things along and all my crops are as good as they've ever been or better. All I can suggest is....move to Cumbria  :)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 23:11 »
Do feel for you noshed, it must be a nightmare. We hardly had any rain April, May, June and then a hosepipe ban.  Rained every single day since till today but theres 45mins left ;) ;)

Babstreefern

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 11:33 »
Yep, nothing but rain in drought ridden, hosepipe ban Manchester.  All my veggies/fruit look great.  The only thing that needs watering are the greenhouse stuff :D

What's laughable is that when United Utilites instigated the hosepipe ban, its never stopped raining :D :D

Come on UU, lift the ban so we can have some sun :tongue2:
Babs

xx
drought

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 16:54
by Oliver
thumbdown
drought

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

60 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 09:34
by Springlands
xx
Anyone else having a drought ?

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 10:40
by amberleaf
xx
The depth of the drought

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 08:52
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 38 queries.