easy microwave slimmers mustard/salad dressing

• 9 Replies

Mrs Bee

easy microwave slimmers mustard/salad dressing
« on: February 21, 2013, 19:14 »
This is a spicy, zappy no fat sauce to zip up any salads. It is keeping me from the mayonaise.
It is also really easy to make.
If you are not bothered about the calories you can substitute 2 tabs caster sugar.

Also lovely served with boiled ham or bacon.

2 eggs
2 tabs dry mustard powder
2 sweetner tablets
8 tabs milk
8 tabs vinegar
4 tsp lemon juice
salt and ground black pepper
1.) Whisk the eggs mustard together.
2.) Gradually whisk in milk and vinegar
3.) Cook uncovered, 9minutes on defrost, stirring several times during cooking.
4.) Add seasoning and lemon juice to taste.
you could also bung everything in a jug and blitz it with a stick blender and then put it in a bowl for the microwave. You need to make sure you don't get any white stringy bits as it cooks.
Can be served hot or cold. You can decrease the amount of mustard if it is too spicy.
When cold add a dollop or 2 of quark or fatfree fromage fraise or yoghurt to make a dip.
When cooked keep in the fridge.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: easy microwave slimmers mustard/salad dressing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:23 »
Looks interesting Mrs Ball.. just one question. Why does it need cooking? For our own use, I wouldn't normally cook a salad dressing even with eggs in it, so does the cooking in some way replace the emulsifying effect oil would give, or is ir just to cook the eggs?

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:55 »
Hi Arugula.

The cooking of the mixture thickens the dressing without the need to emulify with lots of oil as a traditional mayonnaise would require.
So it has no fat what so ever but on cooking and cooling gives a texture and consistency of salad cream.

So yes, the cooking replaces the emusifying effect of the oil.

It is quite mustardy so if you don't want it so hot reduce the amount of mustard used.
It is a recipe I have used for more years than I care to remember as an accompaniment to roast gammon during the Winter festival. And everyone loved it and commented on it.

It came to mind when I was looking for something to make coleslaw with and to zip up salads without adding the fat.

I like it as a syn free dip too.  And it is so easy.

Sue33

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:32 »

thanks for that, shall be trying it this weekend  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 14:41 »
The cooking of the mixture thickens the dressing without the need to emulify with lots of oil

..does the cooking in some way replace the emulsifying effect oil would give...

That's what I thought. ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 15:05 by arugula »

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 14:49 »
Sounds good Mrs B. I think you need to join the HLC & be our cook guru :lol: How long does it keep in the fridge before going off? Could I substitute soya milk for cow's milk do you think?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 16:23 »
I have not tried it with soya milk but I see no reason why it shouldn't work, Snowdrops.

As for keeping I have kept it for up to a week and I am still here to tell the tale.
I think the vinegar helps with the keeping qualities.

Let me know how it turns out with the soya milk. :)
I hope you like it as much as we do.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 11:02 »
I prefer to use yoghurt as my tummy is not good with eggs when used in mayonnaise and I find you can zip up quite a nice variety of salad dressings or coleslaw dressing if you find a good quality plain yoghurt. I use either the Onken or Yeo plain yoghurt - the mild and creamy ones. Then just spoon any amount you need at the time into a bowl and add lemon juice, salt pepper, mustard, herbs or anything you want to create the dressing you want. I sometimes add a little tomato ketchup - just a very tiny dollop to add taste and colour.
I dislike all forms of sweetener and would be more concerned about the possible health issues with those than saving a few calories. Adding say a tiny amount of honey or agave syrup if you need sweetness will do the same job but without the concerns - however you rarely need a sweet dressing with salads etc. I make only a small amount and keep it in fridge for a few days at a time. It's fabulous with fish meals, salmon or white fish or over prawns and with fresh herbs like chives or dill its really scrummy.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 19:50 »
Thanks for that Maryann.
I am a bit funny with lowfat yogurt in salad dressings.
I love the full fat one in Tsatsiki but I really can't take to yogurt salad dressings.

However I am prepared to give it another go. :)

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:19 »
It was an idea I got many years ago when going to slimming classes and whilst I have forgotten a lot of the other stuff this one became a firm favourite - but then I do love yoghurt and have it on lots of things like porridge and muesli as well, also good in soups and mash potato.
I'm not sure what percentage of fat your diet suggests but the Yeo Valley Mild & Creamy Natural yoghurt (in cream wrapper) has 4.2g per 100g which is 82 calories. I'm afraid I don't use the very low or no fat yogs - and yes all my weight did go back on again plus some more after I lost it all at slimming club  :blink: I am struggling to find the resolve to start all over again and am 'blessed' with a hubby who brings home Danish pastries and crusty bread from a little bakery close to where he works  :ohmy:
I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you succeed where I failed, it is so hard to keep it off and after all that hard work as well. My daughter has found a diet that works for her is to just use much smaller portions. She eats virtually anything she wants in moderation of course but puts it all on quite small plates. She says it tricks her brain into thinking it isn't on a diet so she doesn't feel deprived or hungry - now I just have to get hubby to stop calling into that wretched bakery and dig out some small plates  ::)

clip
Easy Microwave Jam

Started by Aunt Sally on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2020, 20:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
Ranch Salad Dressing

Started by Cazzy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 18:10
by Cazzy
xx
microwave jam

Started by jack russell on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

26 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 15:01
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Microwave blanching.

Started by Tom Netall on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 21:43
by Tom Netall

Page created in 0.533 seconds with 38 queries.