Plant shallots now?

• 7 Replies

Nobbie

Plant shallots now?
« on: October 11, 2019, 11:34 »
I planted some Golden Gourmet in March and they did fine. Does anyone plant them now and let them overwinter, or do they just rot? I'm just thinking of planting at the same time as the garlick as it gets another job out of the way.

Also, are autumn planting onion sets in any shops now like Wilko or Lidl?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Plant shallots now?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 11:43 »
Most suppliers list them as spring planting, so I'd go with that tbh

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 13:59 »
I had just counted my shallots before going to plant them out then I read the above.  Looked at it a bit closer my ones Longer & Griselle are Autumn planting so I guess you should check what sort you have got.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 19:43 »
There are autumn planting shallots (and garlic and onion sets). However it does depend on the weather - have decided against autumn planting ones as they would need to be able to swim this year up here.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 23:02 »

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 06:32 »
Cheers,

I'll leave it until Feb by the looks of it.

cc

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 11:20 »
I planted some Golden Gourmet in March and they did fine. Does anyone plant them now and let them overwinter, or do they just rot? I'm just thinking of planting at the same time as the garlick as it gets another job out of the way.

I have planted golden gourmet last year about this time.  Got far better crop than planting late spring/early summer. I would say 16 for one. I planted a bit earlier this year about a month ago.  Looking great. Note last year I put fleece over them because they looked like they weren't going to make it. I think they were getting wind damage (terraced garden). The fleece was not allowing enough water evaporation  so a few rotted. I will go for insect netting this year or remove the fleece when no rain expected. Again very very good crop.

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 12:56 »

I have planted golden gourmet last year about this time.  Got far better crop than planting late spring/early summer. I would say 16 for one. I planted a bit earlier this year about a month ago.  Looking great. Note last year I put fleece over them because they looked like they weren't going to make it. I think they were getting wind damage (terraced garden). The fleece was not allowing enough water evaporation  so a few rotted. I will go for insect netting this year or remove the fleece when no rain expected. Again very very good crop.

Interesting, I've got some cloches going spare over winter, so could pop some under them as it would keep the rain off and they would be in raised beds anyway.

xx
when to plant shallots?

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:24
by DavidT
xx
When to plant shallots?

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 22:21
by Yorkie
xx
Plant shallots now?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 17:44
by DHM
xx
OK to plant shallots now?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 21, 2016, 09:40
by New shoot

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 40 queries.