Ford Tranny Diesels

• 12 Replies

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Ford Tranny Diesels
« on: February 24, 2008, 14:08 »
I hope this is in the right place.  Ford Transit Vans are equipment after all aren't they?

Has anyone got or had a Ford Transit Diesel 2.5 litre engine? Have you fiddled about with one? It's driving me nuts.

A week ago I fired it up no bother at work and drove home, but stopping first at Tesco for some juice. I put 20 quid in, about 4 gallons, definitely of diesel, no question of that. I've still got the receipt, and have since had fuel pipes loosened and smelled and felt and yes - eventually tasted what's in the system. It's diesel no question. Derv, Heavy Oil, horrible stuff.

Leaving Tesco no problem I proceeded the qtr mile to home. As I approached the main street in town and giving way at the War Memorial junction, I went to brake and found the brake pedal solid at the top! Strength of ten men needed on the pedal, and tiny amount of brake effort at the wheels - I could sense that. Luckily I was only going 10 or 15 mph and the handbrake is a cracker, so I stopped no problem. A bit hairy like but I coped. Trundled home slowly, continually testing the brake but with no change. I'd already determined by the time I got home that the brake-vacuum-servo unit must have failed, more likely the vacuum pipe split or loose. Never known a servo failure in 25 years, never seen a pipe split either, they aren't a stressed component really. Anyway, cos it was dark, I parked up and left it till the morning. Engine ran fine all the way home, only problem was the brakes.

In the morn, I popped the bonnet and traced the vacuum pipe (back to the inlet manifold I thought) and found myself at a vacuum-pump unit. New one on me, the servo pipe always goes to the manifold in my experience. Anyway, this vacuum-pump is bolted to the back of the alternator and driven by an extension of the alternator shaft. Immediately I notice that there's no belt (fan belt) on the alternator pulley. So the alternator isn't being driven, so the vacuum unit isn't driven, so there's no vacuum at the servo main unit. So the brakes all but fail. So - Eureka - the fan belt's snapped, is all. Further quick check - yes, no belt on the water-pump pulley or the fan pulley. No belt anywhere, it's obviously somewhere between home and Tesco, chewed up on the road.

How daft is this though? - if your fan-belt snaps on a Tranny - your brakes fail.  :shock:  Your alternator or dynamo (remember them?) doesn't turn, so no charge to the battery - annoying. Your water pump doesn't turn so the cooling system fails and much more than a few miles can be fatal to the engine. More than annoying. This I haven't done. I have NOT cooked the engine, I did 1/4 mile at most, and everything ran fine. The Temp gauge works and was ok. No steam or creaking & cracking from under the bonnet. The fan stops turning too, possibly adding to the cooling problem, so again annoying. But your brakes failing - outright dangerous. What are they thinking of?

Never mind, I got a new fan-belt and fitted it, tensioned ok on the adjustor. Jumps in and turns it over and it wouldn't fire. Perservered till the battery ran down. Damn. Off comes the battery and goes on charge and I forget the van all weekend, and use the car. Freezing cold anyway so conveniently no chance of going digging on the plot, so don't need the van anyway.

Monday morning I puts the battery back on and had the engine spinning over like hell, eventually supplemented by jump leads off the running car engine. Diesel is at the injector pipes and it will not fire. I was a bit naughty eventually and had the air intake pipe off the manifold and gave it a squirt of Laughing Gas (Easy Start). Starts immediately off the laughing gas and instantly dies. I've had pipes off at the primary diesel pump bolted to the side of the block - fuel is there. I've had pipes off at the fuel filter cartridge - fuel is there. I've loosened the injector pipes at the cyl head and fuel is spurting out there. There's half a tankful of juice in the vehicle.

Yesterday in despair I bought a new fuel filter despite the one fitted only being about 3 months old. Fitted the filter ok, no leaks. Back on with a yet again revitalised battery, jump leads and car standing by, and had the thing cranking over again at speed with fuel at the end of the injector pipes as they go into the cyl head. No way will it fire.

I've checked and they are a self-bleed system.  There is no hand-operated lift-pump anywhere.  There is no bleed screw at the injector pump or anywhere else.  Still, I've had injector pipes at the head loosened and there's diesel spurting out, so any air should be purged by now.  I've tried with all the injector pipes tight, with one, 2, or 3 loose, I've tried everything.

It's driving me bananas. I've stunk of diesel now for days, I can taste it cos it's somehow made its way into every coffee cup (as it does) and it won't be long afore the bed and all the covers smell of diesel too, it has that insidious way of invading your whole life.

Who's out there who can advise me?  It's summat or nothing or it's mega-serious.  All I can think is that the fuel pump timing is lost (but how, and the toothed drive belt for that is still on, there's an inspection cutaway of the plastic cover at 6 o'clock by the crankshaft pulley).  Or I've lost compression altogether, but that's unlikely and it would still at least try to fire or cough and splutter, or run on 3 pots.  It won't even cough or vaguely try to fire.  The only other thing is injector pressure right down.  Again, I can't see that.  The last time it ran, it started and ran perfectly and all that has happened since is a snapped fan-belt, whereupon it was driven for qtr mile maximum.

Help.   :(

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 14:55 »
Assuming the fuel is unadulterated and assuming the self bleed has indeed done what it says on the tin, that only leaves the timing.

Did the broken belt collide with the timing belt and skid it over a notch or two?

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 19:45 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
Assuming the fuel is unadulterated and assuming the self bleed has indeed done what it says on the tin, that only leaves the timing.

Did the broken belt collide with the timing belt and skid it over a notch or two?

Clever fella you are.

In desperation, I've had all the whole front panel off, the radiator, the new fan belt and pulleys and eventually the timing cover.  Huh - the supposedly snapped fan belt is in fact shredded into loads of thin strips, which has then worn a slit in the timing cover and then somehow (why me?) wormed its way into the timing cover, wrapped itself around the pump sprocket in an impossible tangle and yes - undoubtably slipped the fuel timing.  The timing belt is chafed but still intact, and I'm hoping the cam sprocket hasn't slipped either, otherwise I'll have bent push rods at least.  Due to it going dark, I've loosely slapped the front panel back on and will continue the inspection at 1st light.  A new timing belt is on the cards, hopefully that's all, and a re-time of all the sprockets.

What a pain.  All day wasted again.

jack russell

Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 20:17 »
hey tinbasher i used to own a transit last year and frequented the transit forum on the net when i had problems etc.. a lot of good knowledge there  :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 20:37 »
Quote from: "jack russell"
hey tinbasher i used to own a transit last year and frequented the transit forum on the net when i had problems etc.. a lot of good knowledge there  :wink:

A Transit forum.  Wow, I'd never thought of that.  I'll have to look into it.

Got me new timing belt at 4pm today.  Too late to start the job then, so tomorrow it'll have to be.  I bet it rains now.

jack russell

Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 20:45 »
http://fordtransit.org/forum/

It is good and informative, use the search engine for any subject rather than asking first.

It is full of tranny enthusiasts young and old :wink:

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 21:01 »
http://fordtransit.org/forum/

It is good and informative, use the search engine for any subject rather than asking first.

It is full of tranny enthusiasts young and old :wink:

Tranny enthusiasts !!?!  Wow, that's either very dodgy or utter train-spotting type stuff.

I can forsee there's an E-Type Jag forum, or a Mini Cooper S forum, and much lesser stuff besides, but Ford Transit?

Sad that is.

jack russell

Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 22:00 »
sad it may be, but there is an answer to every problem about transit vans from the first to date. Just as there is a answer to everything gardening on here  :wink:

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 10:36 »
sad it may be, but there is an answer to every problem about transit vans from the first to date. Just as there is a answer to everything gardening on here  :wink:

Aye, I was only joking really.  Variety is the spice of life and everybody is into their own thing.  It probably is interesting if you delve into it.  Mark 1 chrome wing-mirrors anyone?

About 100- 120 degrees out my injector sprocket was.  Was at about 8 o'clock when it should have been at 12.  That's some fair slippage, yet when I got the timing cover off, everything looked normal apart from the position of the timing pegs.  Timing belt on and tight (maybe a little slack), no belt damage, sprocket looks ok, and no trace of the old fan belt.  I must have pulled all the bits out the other day.

What's strange is that I drove home for 1/4 mile after the fan-belt went and everything was fine except no servo effort on the brakes.  The minute I switched off, some trailing belt threads must have finally settled into a perfect position to immediately jam the sprocket or belt the minute the engine was turned over the next time, cos it never started and ran again.

A good system used for timing, where pegs (drill bits I used) are inserted into locator holes to line everything up.  One in the bell housing to lock the flywheel at TDC, presumably cylinder No 1.  A hole thru the cam sprocket and into the block and one in the injector sprocket into the backplate.  Apparently Ford sell a kit of timing pegs to do the job and they're about 40 quid.  3 drill bits worked for me.

jack russell

Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 14:48 »
I knew you were kidding :D   Hope you got it all sorted now then :wink:

shaun

Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 19:57 »
ive got a 53 transit pickup,ive had it from new and its had 3 clutch plates,a flywheel,3 starter motors.a new radio and a year or 2 back when i was going down the motorway at a steady 90 the engine would just die and go into tickover,it didnt happen all the time just now and then,it was a micro switch on the peddle somewhere it took ford 3 months to find the fault  :evil:
other than that its great for picking manure up for the plot  :wink:

ohh and another thing the central locking has just packed up, its a pain in the butt leaning over the front seats to open the passenger side door  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

jack russell

Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 20:14 »
Shaun take a look on that forum put central locking in the search engine and there is a post there which tells you how to reset the central locking its not hard :wink:

shaun

Ford Tranny Diesels
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 20:17 »
it hasnt realy packed up its just lazy somtimes and then it goes stupid and locks then opens then locks  :?

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 29 queries.