Chicken run

• 13 Replies

wildeone

Chicken run
« on: February 03, 2008, 16:04 »
How many ex-batts do you think would be comfy in this house?
LINK

I was thinking 2 or 3 but if it would be comfy for a couple more then i'd like to give a couple more a good home!!! But no good rescuing them and then cramming them in!!! :roll:

And I know this is about the 10th time i've posted along these lines but i'm like a broody hen i can't wait to get them and want everything 'just right'.  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Chicken run
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 16:12 »
I wouldn't put anymore than 3 in that house, but the run is very small Wildeone, would you be free ranging them too?  or makingthe run bigger.  Seems a lot of money too, but then I'm lucky to have a carpenter on tap!!!!

wildeone

Chicken run
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 16:17 »
I'm hoping not to pay that much for it but if you think the runs too small i'll just keep 2. and free range as often as possible!!!

naturesparadise

Chicken run
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 16:17 »
that is way overpriced you could buy a shed for that

and build a run on it

wildeone

Chicken run
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 16:18 »
Quote from: "naturesparadise"
that is way overpriced you could buy a shed for that

and build a run on it
I'm hoping to pay about £120 for it and no more!!!

naturesparadise

Chicken run
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 16:24 »
this one is better
LINK

Glen

• Experienced Member
Chicken run
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 16:27 »
i would say 2 chickens myself as i hate overcramming and also the sights of Hugh Fernley Wittingshall's recent program are still fresh in my mind, but i know nothing! it could house more comfortably??????

also it seems very expensive, but i admit it looks wicked. tough call really, i would pay it because i couldn't make better. but i think i would do my homework to see if there were any other cheaper options available and then i would compare build quality etc.

up to you mate! go for it if you think its right for you!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Chicken run
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 16:56 »
The reason I said 3 Glen, although really a bit small for 3, is that sometimes chooks can just die on you, and if you've only got 2 and one dies, then you've only got one on its own til you replace.

Selkie

Chicken run
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 16:57 »
I totally agree Grannie - I wish we had got three when we got ours, I didn't think of that side of things, and one chook on its own would be very sad.

wildeone

Chicken run
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 16:58 »
Quote from: "Glen"
i would say 2 chickens myself as i hate overcramming and also the sights of Hugh Fernley Wittingshall's recent program are still fresh in my mind, but i know nothing! it could house more comfortably??????

also it seems very expensive, but i admit it looks wicked. tough call really, i would pay it because i couldn't make better. but i think i would do my homework to see if there were any other cheaper options available and then i would compare build quality etc.

up to you mate! go for it if you think its right for you!
I've shopped around a lot and watched these coops go for no more than £120 max but as you say Glen i could never make anything like this. So i have to pay up for it!!!

Natures paradise i thought that one did look a little smaller, those chooks might be tiny!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So if i can get it for £120 i will! but only 2 chooks!

scara

Chicken run
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 17:00 »
I tend to agree I don't think I would be tempted to put more than 2 in there, you can get them cheaper than that as well, have you not got a local farm supply shop near to where you live??, How much space have you got to place the coop on?? for that money in my local farm shop you can get a small shed type coop.

Also have you got any joinery firms in the area, you quite often find they will do one to your plan for a fraction of the price, though it seems when you come to a specific market like chickens everyone who supplies anything is out to take advantage and charge top dollar.

or Buy some plans and make your own  8)  8)

wildeone

Chicken run
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 17:01 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
The reason I said 3 Glen, although really a bit small for 3, is that sometimes chooks can just die on you, and if you've only got 2 and one dies, then you've only got one on its own til you replace.
oops missed that bit so 3 it is but when my grandad comes to visit i'll flutter my eyelashes and get him to lenghten the run by about 3 foot! Mind you it might take a good roast beef dinner instead! :D

stickywicket

Chicken run
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 21:26 »
I've read that you should avoid ones that have a felt roof as this can attract red mite. The poultry club has some useful advice at their 'advice centre' on:
www.poultryclub.org.

I have been told by a breeder that you should allow 3 sq ft per bird

Foxy

Chicken run
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 22:22 »
sorry wildone there are loads of things I dont like about the henhouse!
I think its too small - just over 6foot by 3foot ish. Also no perches or nestboxes - added expense and I cant see how you could put a perch in unless perhaps freestanding then you would have a problem with where to put nestbox without leaving it exposed by that amount of ventilation. Not sure I like the pvc covered floor -whats underneath it? Think it would quickly deteriiorate -mites would love it!!  The other one looks dodo to me too. Too much adaptation and high postage to boot!

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
angry
help my chicken got bit by a dog

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 21:02
by nicchick
xx
Chicken run.

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 13:17
by Roughlee Handled
xx
new chicken

Started by jakinpeter on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 11:01
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 28 queries.