Seed sowing

• 3 Replies

steve chip

Seed sowing
« on: April 19, 2016, 22:11 »
Hi there. I am in my mid twenties and have recently started growing veg in my back garden where I have made 6 generous sized raised beds. All my family have always grown veg and it's only natural that I continue the tradition. The only problem is that I am finding it difficult to take in all the information needed to grow successful veg. Are there any tips in seed sowing, soil preparation and general veg growing on new plots. Thank you for any tips and advice  :D

Trikidiki

Re: Seed sowing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 22:50 »
Read the packets, they will give you the general idea. Read as many books as you can, there are umpteen ways to do most jobs, no one is right, just go with what you feel comfortable with. Watch Youtube videos of others doing their plots, everyone has their own way to do things. Don't expect everything you do to work, you will have a few failures but keep trying. Experiment a bit and have fun. Keep on top of the weeds, they are the one thing that will really get you down if you don't. Little and often for most jobs is better than flogging yourself and not enjoying it. Spend some time looking at and enjoying what you have achieved, it should be a pleasure not a chore.

Good luck.

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 22:53 »
Read the packets, they will give you the general idea. Read as many books as you can, there are umpteen ways to do most jobs, no one is right, just go with what you feel comfortable with. Watch Youtube videos of others doing their plots, everyone has their own way to do things. Don't expect everything you do to work, you will have a few failures but keep trying. Experiment a bit and have fun. Keep on top of the weeds, they are the one thing that will really get you down if you don't. Little and often for most jobs is better than flogging yourself and not enjoying it. Spend some time looking at and enjoying what you have achieved, it should be a pleasure not a chore.

Good luck.

^^^^^ Spot on, Triki.  ;)  ^^^^

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:35 »
Tips someone gave me which have always helped (and is not actually written in this way on the seed packet):

- cover seeds with a depth of soil equivalent to three time their diameter, and use very fine friable soil. If your soil is lumpy. used sieved multi purpose compost

- water the drill not the seeds. Pull dry soil over them as this seals in the moisture, and pat down fairly firmly, as the seeds need to be in contact with the soil

- if you do need to water them, water alongside the drill not directly over it, or the seeds can be easily washed away

- and if you have mice around, sow seeds of peas and beans in modules and plant out as plants, as then they don't eat the seeds!!

Hope that helps a bit!!

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Seed sowing

Started by gilesi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 13:10
by EllenJane
xx
Seed sowing

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 08:17
by pink aubergine
xx
Seed Sowing

Started by Leisurely on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 21:56
by Leisurely
xx
Sowing Seed

Started by Leapyear on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 15:21
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 38 queries.