Bedtime?

• 2 Replies

Gobsheen

Bedtime?
« on: April 29, 2012, 20:47 »
Hi,

We've finally got the coop finished and our 4 chickens have arrived.  All seem to be doing well.  I'll stick a couple of pics on when I work it all out!

Tonight's first question is.......what time should I set the auto door to open and close at?  Right now, it's set to be closed from 10pm to 6:30am.  How does that sound?  They've all been in bed by 9 tonight and last night.

Next question......should I block off the nesting boxes at night too?  One of them likes sleeping in there which I'd prefer to deter.

BTW.....we're all really enjoying our newly extended family!

Blarney

• Experienced Member
Re: Bedtime?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 21:01 »
Hi
Congratulations on your girls. You will fall in love with them very quickly.
Mine go in to bed as soon as dusk hits.  I think it depends on the area you live in as naturally in the less built up areas you'll have less street lighting and so they will retire earlier.   I'd say if you live in a built up area then have them coming out slightly later as even the girls can make a fair amount of noise in the morning.  In the summer ours get going about 4am if we do not shut the coop door! So ifyou have neighbours you may want to move it on by half an hour.
I do not have an issue with girls sleeping in nest boxes. Personally I think if that is where a hen is comfortable then let her be, but I'm aware that others on here do all they can to prevent it. 
Looking forward to seeing your piccies.
Enjoy the eggs!
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

splash101

Re: Bedtime?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 22:22 »
You may find that they will probably move out of the nest boxes on their own accord. Mine took about 4 weeks to adjust to their new home and soon realised that the nest boxes are for laying in and not for sleeping in.

You may have to poop pick in the morning as mine wont lay eggs in there if there is poop in there

xx
Bedtime?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 13:56
by LittleRedHen
xx
Bedtime

Started by uba on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 22:33
by jhub
xx
Bedtime

Started by Hooee on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 13:32
by BestBreast
xx
bedtime?

Started by poohpouri on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:59
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 38 queries.