Fox attack: injured hen HELP please!

• 10 Replies

Blarney

• Experienced Member
Fox attack: injured hen HELP please!
« on: April 29, 2012, 16:12 »
We've just saved Audrey Hen from the jaws of a manky old fox.

She had been rolling in the mud so was filthy.  I bathed her off, gave her some water and now she's drying in the bathroom.

She appears scared but is a little bit chirpy.  I'm concerned though as the fox ripped the skin below her wing on the side of her breast meat bit (sorry - I don't know how to describe it!).  It's not bleeding any more but looks really nasty and there is a bubble in the shiny membrane that covers the breast meat bit (soz again!).  Her wing isn't broken.

Can anyone tell me what to do?  We live in a city and the local vets don't ever want to know.

Do I put anticeptic on it or just leave her?

Thank you
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

kegs

Re: Fox attack: injured hen HELP please!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 17:08 »
Hopefully an expert will be along soon to offer advice.  How big is the rip.  Have you got any gentian purple spray which I believe has antiseptic properties and will stop any of your other hens from being attracted by the red area.  You can always dry her off with a hair dryer on its warmest setting (not hot) which chickens seem to enjoy.  So pleased for you that she escaped the fox and hopefully someone will help soon.

GMM

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 17:33 »
Sorry to hear about the fox attack.  I live in Bexleyheath - so near you and we took our chicken who had been badly bullied and pecked to the vets in Sidcup - the Oval 0208 302 1521.  Who sprayed the chicken with blue stuff.  They were really helpful and gave her a good look over, antibiotics and she is fine now.  I would definitely recommend a visit to the vet.  Kind regards. 

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 17:42 »
Thank you.  I think I'm going to need to take her as her skin has been ripped apart by about three inches.  She's settled now so I'll give them a call tomorrow. 
Thank you for giving me the number.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 18:27 »
Hope Audrey is ok. Please post to let us know how she gets on.  :)
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

GMM

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 18:27 »
Hope all works out well for her.  We have also used Pet Care at North Heath 01322 346173.  We took our silkie there last week but unfortunately she had to be put to sleep - she laid a soft egg with no shell and went downhill after that.  Our remaining 4 hens are healthy - thank goodness.  Kind regards.

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 19:51 »
Pet Care is my vets and they are fabulous but wouldn't see my hens in the past.  Which vet did you see there?  We normally see Mr Castle.
Thank you

GMM

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 20:43 »
We saw a lady vet in her late 20's early 30's.  I would have taken poor Juliet to Sidcup but I think she was too poorly - but I do wonder if I had taken her to Sidcup if the outcome would have been different.  We went on a Friday to the Sidcup vet with Ginger and saw a man - I thought he was South African but my other half thinks he was Portugese?  In case you are wondering the vet in Sidcup was £32 and Petcare was £16. 

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 20:53 »
I am sure that was Mr Castle as he's South African.  he's really lovely and has a dry sense of humour.
I'll see how she goes tonight and will call them tomorrow.  I've got some steristrips from a friend who works for St Johns. I thought I'd see if I could do a DIY job.

GMM

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 20:58 »
Do let me know the outcome - my email address is on my profile.  Best wishes.

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 21:02 »
I will do.  Thanks so much for the advice. x

xx
Injured hen, please help

Started by Ruby Red on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 23:41
by Ruby Red
xx
Injured Hen

Started by NATHAN on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 14:18
by alan42
clip
Has she injured herself?

Started by TashaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 17:49
by TashaH
xx
Injured leg

Started by Pencrugmawr on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2012, 09:10
by joyfull

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 33 queries.