newbie starting out?

• 3 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
newbie starting out?
« on: August 20, 2010, 22:18 »
hi, i enjoy drinking traditional ales/beers and wine and have always fancied trying to make somthing of my own. what would be easiest to start with for the first time? and what would i need to start out?

pairofacres

• Experienced Member
Re: newbie starting out?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:57 »
Ribena wine and/or turbo cider are nice easy starting points and probably worth experimenting with before trying anything more involved. Recipes for both can be found in this section. You'll need:

A couple of demijohns (or similar large brewing vessels - some people use large recycled plastic bottles such as water cooler refills, etc).

A couple of airlocks with corks.

A siphon tube (one with a tap makes life much easier).

You should be able to get all of these for <£20 from Wilkinsons if you've got one locally. Our local Tesco now also stocks a decent home brewing range. If you move onto brewing beers or home made wines, you'll need large brewing buckets which can be picked up fairly cheaply in the same way.

chazzo125

• The Dimensions of My Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 00:33 »
Wine concentrate kits are excellent once you have the basic equipment! I add grape juice to the concentrate though sugar is fine if you want to keep down cost!

It is usually best to make a starter in a spare open bottle half filled with water, orange juice (not squash), some sugar and some dried wine yeast. Bakers yeast works, but special wine yeast helps enhance the wine flavour and/ or strength! Leave the starter for 24 hours, while allowing the concentrate and water to reach room temperature. Then add the starter!

You do need at least above 20 degrees Celsius for the ferment to continue!

Other than that, just follow the instructions provided with the wine making concentrate kit!

Air locks with some water in them are essential to avoid the wine spoiling once the initial first few days rapid fermetation is over. Cleanliness at all stages helps prevent the wine from spoiling.

I have full details on a wine-making page on my website, listed in my profile, if you need more information!

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 20:29 »
if ya like the real ale side of things try whoodfordes wherry kit lovely bitter! ;) :D
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

xx
Thinking about starting homebrewing

Started by nickmcmechan on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 17:20
by savbo
xx
Temperature where I site my kit (when I get it - thinking of starting out..)

Started by sowitgrowit on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 18:03
by DaveJNeal
xx
Newbie here

Started by Laurentius on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2014, 22:41
by grinling
xx
newbie needs help

Started by sawnee on Homebrew

20 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 19:59
by sawnee

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 38 queries.