Fermenting cider ?

• 8 Replies

Tricky

Fermenting cider ?
« on: May 05, 2010, 21:59 »
Just an idea, can you ferment shop brought cider (organic) and fresh fruit ? would it work? has anyone tried it?

STIG1963

Re: Fermenting cider ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 23:07 »
Tricky
Probably not as the cider will have been stabilised so the yeasties wont work.
Brewing and gardening in abingdon-on-thames

Tricky

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 20:49 »
thanks for reply, didnt think about that. :(

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:25 »
It will work if you can get hold of a "bottled conditioned "cider. This type of cider still has a little yeast in it and the sugars in the fruit will start a fermenting process.
Fruit flavoured turbo ciders are very easy to make, using shop bought apple juice and fresh fruit.
If you want me to explain the process I will.
Confucuos said... "Youve spelt my name wrong"

Tricky

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 20:52 »
It will work if you can get hold of a "bottled conditioned "cider. This type of cider still has a little yeast in it and the sugars in the fruit will start a fermenting process.
Fruit flavoured turbo ciders are very easy to make, using shop bought apple juice and fresh fruit.
If you want me to explain the process I will.

i dont quite know what "bottled conditioned" cider is if you could help?
i have/and am in the process of making apple juice and fresh fruit, but i was just thinking of some new ideas.

Tricky

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 20:56 »
another idea!

what if you boiled the cider to get rid of the nasty things and refermented it with fruit?

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 01:18 »
Cider is cider is cider. Why would you want to ferment it any more ( unless you want to turn it into Calvados).
If you want a fruit flavoured cider, just use "bog standard apples juice" add your flavourings and ferment from there.

P.S. "bottled Conditioned" means, that there is a little live yeast still in the bottle doing its bussniss (sp), turning sugar to alcohol.
Sorry about all the typos and spelling but Ive been drinking HB cider, after a hard days work, and Im off tomorrow.
HTH Johnnyboy.

JohnB

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 13:32 »
YES you can add pasteurized apple juice to cider especially to change the flavour. furthermore it will not in anyway stop fermentation of the cider, the opposite in fact as your adding sugar as that is all apple juice contains BUT it may take a while for fermentation to begin and may stop the fermentation altogether if you add to much. I added 1.75 litres of pasteurised (the cheapest available) to 3.75 litres of fermenting cider to top up a demijohn (and to experiment).  From the same brew (6 gallon drum so therefore 1st racking) the demijohns with nothing added started fermenting first. The one with pasteurized apple juice started a day latter therefore obviously nothing to worry about. Also it increased from 1.042 to 1.060 A much better strength.

JohnB

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 14:03 »
Up date now have 34 litres of cider first bottling was excellent just like cider should taste Bramley/Blenhem orange blend .........did it again never noted down the proportions. Never mind shouldn't be that hard to work it out next year. There are 5 brameys and 1  Blenhem but the trees are prodigious so should get about 20+ gallons next year.   SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

xx
spirits still fermenting

Started by sion01 on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 10:13
by mike1987
xx
Wine not fermenting help!!!!

Started by grinling on Homebrew

9 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 20:23
by grinling
xx
Fermenting spirits

Started by sion01 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 07:24
by Thrift
question
fermenting lager...

Started by steve chip on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 13:35
by rubixs

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.