Kale

• 1 Replies

rowlandwells

Kale
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:08 »
I though I would try growing some Kale this season got the Kale going nicely in pots it was a variety called pentland brig said to be more of a cabbage flavour I was really looking forward to cooking and eating this variety

so we planted a raised bed with our kale plants netted the bed with an insect netting we never went down the allotments for a couple of days and when we got back to the allotment disaster the plants had been stripped clean  so no Kale

so I thought I would ask if any of our members  grew this variety [Pentland Brig] and what you thought about this variety both for cropping cooking and taste as I'm looking to have another go with Kale [Pentland Brig] next season unless you think there's another Kale variety I should try  :unsure:

Dev

• Experienced Member
Re: Kale
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 21:45 »
I haven't grown Pentland Brig for a number of years now because I found Dwarf Green Kale and Cavolo Nero better tasting. What caused the plants to be stripped? The two I grow are pretty hardy - pigeons can be a problem when the plants are full grown - its difficult to keep netting over them - and whitefly are a flaming nuisance, but they don't seem to suffer from butterfly problems too much. I have found in the past that pigeons were a problem, but the plants grew through them, and then produced edible side shoots ( a bit like purple broccoli) in the spring. They are very hardy.

xx
Sea Kale?

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2022, 16:14
by Learnerlady
xx
Kale?

Started by maxie on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 11:02
by maxie
xx
Kale

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2021, 09:32
by mumofstig
xx
Kale

Started by gilesi on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 19:38
by LandShark

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 35 queries.