Carrot Root Fly Avoidance

• 11 Replies

ralphyboy

Carrot Root Fly Avoidance
« on: March 19, 2010, 22:40 »
Hello Folks, I am wondering if there is any new methods or products out there to help eliminate or prevent carrot fly intrusion. In the old days I used a product called Bromophos and grew perfect carrots every year, Suddenly the product was no longer availabale and my problems started. Year after year, in spite of choosing specific "Root Fly Resistant Hybrids", using fleece covers, my crop has always been damged to a certain degree, somtimes the whole batch is ruined.
So the big question is, is there anything out there that can help me? Fresh grown carrots are my number two favourite after tomatoes  so i would live to find an effective answer.

lacewing

Re: Carrot Root Fly Avoidance
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:24 »
Not wishing to teach my granny how to suck eggs!. This is how I grow my carrots, I erect a barrier about two foot high around the carrot bed, using strong clear plastic. The plastic is kept in place with pairs of two foot bmboo canes, one either side of the plastic, at about four foot intervallis. I  sow a thick row of spring onions all around the inside of the plastic, and sow the carrots in the usual way inside this barrier.  I've been using this method for the past four years with 99.9% success.  I also get a plentiful supply of spring onions for the whole season.  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:28 by lacewing »
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:42 »
Great Idea Lacewing!
I shall follow suit this year and now have a use for the old cover of a plastic greenhouse.
Here's to fly free growing!
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:29 »
This sounds like a great idea.  Can I just ask how big your carrot bed is. How big an area do you think this might work for?  Thanks
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

lacewing

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:14 »
This sounds like a great idea.  Can I just ask how big your carrot bed is. How big an area do you think this might work for?  Thanks
[/quote

My carrot bed is usually 3' wide by 18' long, giving me four rows of carrots spaced 6"apart. But you can have any size bed you chose, the plastic will hold up if you follow the method I have discribed.

ralphyboy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 12:27 »
good idea lacewing. Thanks will try that one out.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:37 »

I've just sown three rows of carrot-fly resistant types under a fleece tunnel, and don't intend to take it off until I harvest...it is 2ft tall, so should have room. Also planted onions right next to them too.

Lost the lot last year with no protection, so more hopeful this time!!

May also try the clear plastic barrier myself too...

Phill

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 12:44 »
I grow my carrots in tubs over 60cm deep (carrot flies can't fly over 60cm high) with chives sown round the outside of the tub and pots of spring onions around the edge of the tub, to disguise the smell. And I sow thinly to avoid thinning out too much - as soon as they smell bruised carrot seedlings, they head for your plot   :( and apparently this can smell it from miles away  >:( allium plants disguise the smell well  :)
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

leightonglenys

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 16:48 »
Thin out early or late in the day when the fly is not about and do not leave any thinnings on the ground.I grow sage.garlic and parsley amongst the carrots and bruise the herbs when you thin out , it disguises the smell of the carrots and that is what attracts them

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 16:59 »
Im growing carrots in  an old glass fibre bathtub , which ofc is far too high for them to fly up and into. Its been 3/4 filled with peat free multi-purpose compost and 1/2" holes round the bottom about an inch up (so it creates a reservoir of water to keep the compost wet.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 17:13 »
I sow mine in an old bath as well with an old pipe fitted into the soil to water in.

Roots than search for the water.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

andy135

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 17:48 »
So, they come out ready washed........eh?  :lol:

xx
carrot root fly

Started by fastmonkey85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 21:12
by Trikidiki
xx
Carrot root fly

Started by Yabba on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 06:55
by Yabba
xx
Carrot root fly

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 17:44
by Togalosh
xx
carrot root fly again

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 07:07
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 34 queries.