Slug traps?

• 3 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Slug traps?
« on: September 04, 2008, 12:00 »
We wre going to try out some 'slug inn' traps for the garden and allotment as they are quite reasonably priced (They are the beer in a hole in the ground variety).

H wants to put one in the corner of each border at 'llotment but I wonder if that will attract slugs into the beds and they might nibble at the other plants on their way to their beer death....? Would you put them in beds or not?

Do I think things over too much or what>?>?>?

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Slug traps?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 12:58 »
Why spend money on something to put beer in. I used old vending machine cups, small plastic trays that some food comes in and the bottoms cut off plastic milk cartons. Anything that will hold liquid will do, they will do exactly the same job. As for the beer, I had a word with the landlord at my local pub, gave him some 4 pint milk cartons and he saved all the slops for me that would normally go down the sink. Not a penny spent and the traps worked great.
If you are getting slug damage at the moment, that is where you should put the traps. If the traps are attracting the slugs, they will not stop off for a munch on the way but go straight for the trap. Beer traps are very efficient. All you have to do is empty them out every few days, especially if it rains and just re-fill them.

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Slug traps?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 13:25 »
Thanks for that, I do have a bit of a stash of empty milk bottles that I just knew would come in handy for something!

Good to know the old beer thing works.   We always have out of date beer in the cupboard (bought for all of those summer BBQ's we never had).

Elcie

Slug traps?
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 17:31 »
Quick question - where does everyone put the slugs they find in their beer traps?

xx
Best place for slug traps and what "bait" liquid to use?

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 20:53
by infowarrior
xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
pheremone traps

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 09, 2014, 19:56
by muckyboots
xx
pea moth traps ??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 23:50
by Salmo

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 38 queries.