What breed of dog?

• 28 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
What breed of dog?
« on: October 04, 2009, 23:03 »
My Granddaughter has decided that she would like to get a puppy that will grow up with her little girl who is 2 in January.

She wants something small, but child friendly.  Must like walkies, as although Shel lives in a small place, she walks a lot and is always round her Mum's, who is also a dog lover.

Any ideas gratefully received!!!    :D :D

Casey76

Re: What breed of dog?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:51 »
Hi Grannie,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think that toddlers and puppies are a good mix.

An adult dog who is proven to be good around small children would be a safer option...

:(

Riala

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:10 »
I would say that is a matter of opinion to be honest.  My parents bought a puppy when I was 3yrs old and sister was a newborn.  

Shep (Golden retriever) passed away when he was 18yrs old, we never had any problems with him at all, and my sister and I never hurt him.

When my sister had her two children, she got 2 King Charles puppies, and Mum and Dad had a Dalmatian puppy... again, no problems.

My boy is nearly 3yrs old now, and we have started considering a puppy.  We are looking at Labradors and/or Retrievers.  

Both are placid dogs and intelligent dogs, so training will not be a problem.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:46 by Riala »

Angus

• Skyechi
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:30 »
As a doggy person being involved in breeding showing and judging my breed since 1983 I would like to make the following comments with all respect to the other posts oh her so far.  A older dog is no better option and I would NOT advise this as a puppy you can mould to your lifestyle and with correct training will adapt better to your situation.  We have a breed considered to be not good with toddlers we have a 2 year old with 4 of them and we are fine no problems.  Older dogs may have issues and of course if they ever bite it is far more serious than a puppy nipping.  So unless you can be 100% sure of the temperamment DO NOT bring an adult into the same house as a toddler.  Of course with a puppy it is not easy but you can teach respect to your child and have a happy union and if done correctly have a life long friend for your child.  When you buy the puppy always go to a reputable breeder who has at leat 3 generations in the same house you can see and asses their temperaments.  Smaller breeds are not necesserily easier or calmer than the medium or large breeds either.  So lots to consider.

poppies

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 16:19 »
Hi I would definately go for a puppy, we had a cavalier puppy when my youngest was 18 months he's 21 now, never had a problem you need to teach the children as well as the puppy

We rehomed rosie our  springer spaniel nearly 3 years ago when she was 5 months old, we have had a lot of problems with her and if we had small children would probably  have had to rehome her again, but she is slowly improving and very loving towards us.

Had poppy my yorkie since she was 7 weeks she's 8 now - loves everyone but shy's away from small children not in an aggressive way just wary.

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 16:25 »
We had a rescued Border Collie/ Working Sheepdog when my son was a baby (dog came first). He was very protective and would pull me off the sofa and herd me to the cot if the baby cried. He had been in a home with children and was recommended to me by the rescuer (Cat's Protection League, which probably explained a lot!)

RIKJD89

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 16:53 »
If it has to be a small dog that rules out a labrador or springer spaniel but how about a cocker spaniel they ane generally placid and if both child and puppy are taught correctly i cant see any breed of dog being a problem really.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 22:19 »
Thanks for the advice and ideas everyone!

I would say a lab or retriever too, but she is worried about space indoors, even though she goes out walking a lot.

And yes, you take a chance with small children and dogs whatever breed you have.  Sometimes an animal just clicks with you doesn't it?

My other daughter's 2 children grew up with 2 German Shepherds and they are still alive!!!   :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 22:29 »
Don't know why I am offering an opinion as am a cat person generally but we have had a couple of border collies in the family over the years and they have been wonderful, intelligent, friendly and calm dogs with all and sundry clambering over them.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 22:31 »
Thanks Kate, I am going to send a link to this post to my daughter Nici who is a member although she hasn't been on here for ages!  then her daughter can have a look at all the replies!! :) :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 22:33 »
I have a sneaky little dream of having a border collie when I have the time and space and training it to herd the ducks!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 22:35 »
Im a boxer fan,although they can be big (but not all of them the white ones tend to be smaller) they are for me the perfick dog. Great with kids and other dogs, vey friendly and loyal, yet big enough to protect a lady when out walking at night. I wouldnt have a border collie,as they are very territorial, need a load of exercise and also a lot of games/toys to stop their very intelligent mind from getting bored
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 08:14 »
If it has to be a small dog that rules out a labrador or springer spaniel but how about a cocker spaniel they ane generally placid and if both child and puppy are taught correctly i cant see any breed of dog being a problem really.

I personally wouldn't recommend a cocker purely because my sister has one that is a complete nut case.  I have known people to have lovely quiet ones tho.
I would go for a mongerel every time.
more hardy, cheaper to insure.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

RIKJD89

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 11:19 »
I think it all boils down to training in the end, but one thing i will say is that if you do get a working dog its imperative that you find a way of working it or it will become scatty, I trained my dog (lab x spaniel) to find things using its nose such as tea bags in an old sock its great to keep him entertained both indoors and outdoors

sheringhamlass

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 11:55 »
we have a jack russell terrier (parsons terrier) and a whiffi (whippit x staffi). We also have 2 young boys who absolutely adore them.

The parsons terrier is not yappy, snappy or aggresive in any way. As with all parsons i have come across over the years. They tend to be longer legged and have wirey hair than jack russells.
 Also the staffi. I didn't want him to begin with until my husband showed me the websites about them and children. Top of the list of dogs to have with children!They are stupid dogs, although very affectionate and loyal and protective of their owners. My 2 boys pull him about no end and he just looks at them with his big doughy eyes.

Both are rescues. Molly the terrier (8yrs) was used for badger baiting by pikies and Sam the flid, sorry, Whiffie,(1 & 1/2yrs) was left in a cardboard box on a roundabout with his brother when they were just 5 weeks old.

The best dogs ever, and well and truely part of the family.

Hope this has been some help.
planted waaayyy too many raspberries!!!!

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 40 queries.