Watering Tomatoes

• 8 Replies

Dai

• Experienced Member
Watering Tomatoes
« on: August 27, 2013, 16:29 »
Hi all!
im finding conflicting information on how often to water my toms, im feeding one a week with tomatorite but not watering all that often. maby they are getting watered once and fed once a week ish? they are in a greenhouse with the door mostly open at the moment.

also, how long does the fruit take to ripen? ive had small toms on the plants for about a month or longer and im starting to worry that the winter will kill them off before the have time to fully develop. im growing gardeners delight, amish paste and tumbling toms (if i remember correctly)

Thanks in advance!

Headgardener22

Re: Watering Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 16:55 »
Everybody's toms are being slow this year its too hot!

Mine started early but are only just beginning to really start to go.

You need to water them enough to keep the plants happy. You'll do more harm by overwatering than under watering, if the leaves droop, they need watering. I water mine in growbags a little every day (a whole watering can does 16 plants) but in the ground I don't water them as often but put more on so that the water gets right down.

If you don't water them enough but feed them too much, the tomato feed will get too concentrated in the growbag and the plants won't be able to take up the water and you'll get blossom end rot.

If you water them too much once they are "ripe green", the tomatoes will split as they take up water but the skins are set.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 17:22 »
Dai, what are you growing your tomatoes in? - the border, pots, growbags?

It makes a great deal of difference to how often you need to water  ;)

Totty

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 18:16 »
I have 16 plants in large pots. Watered every day. 10 litres does 5 pots. Very weak feed mixed in every day. I see no benefit from feeding strongly once a week, diluted right down, the plants are very happy and have been cropping heavily for best part of a month.

Have about 100 plants in large greenhouse border. They get fed once a week and watered two or three times. They can find there own food and water to an extent so watering and feeding regimes are less critical IMO.

Totty

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 20:19 »
Ah brill, thanks for the replies.

sorry mum, i forgot to mention that they are in plastic pots. 8" i recon (pots are a bit small too i think but i aint going to disturb them now, ill just learn the lesson for next year)

If anything im more scared of over watering them but ive left them long enough to see them drooping which im sure doesnt do them good either. im happier now ive read some other replies.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 20:29 »
I've been growing tomatoes for 40 years but to underline an earlier post, ruined about half a dozen plants in pots by over-watering when the weather started to warm up in June. What seemed to happen is that they failed to develop a good root system and the yield on those is very poor with only two trusses per plant

allot2learn

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 20:41 »
I've been growing tomatoes for 40 years but to underline an earlier post, ruined about half a dozen plants in pots by over-watering when the weather started to warm up in June. What seemed to happen is that they failed to develop a good root system and the yield on those is very poor with only two trusses per plant

I think that's my failing as well.

Must remember for next year, or move the water butts to the far end of the plot.  ::)

trunk monkey

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 20:46 »
I too grow toms in large plastic pots filled with gro-bag compost. I use pots from the local supermarket that they have cut flowers delivered in. These need puncturing with drainage holes. I place these drainage holes round the sides of the pots some two or three cm up from the base. Thus a reservoir of water accumulates in the bottom of the pot, (where the water seeking roots are), but the higher feeding roots are not waterlogged. Watered everyday; fed with "maxicrop" seaweed extract twice a week. Getting a decent crop of nice toms, (ildi, orange berry, tigerella, shirley and beefsteak). Hope this helps

Trunky

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 21:35 »
If they have drooped before the next watering then they're not watered often enough, a lot of tomatoes get ruined by Blossom End Rot if this happens to them, so if you haven't had this then you have been extremely lucky.

The other thing that can happen is that the tomatoes will split if they go from dry to wet, as the plant suddenly takes up water.

xx
How much watering for tomatoes?

Started by Manlea1 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 10:33
by Manlea1
xx
Watering Tomatoes from below.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:06
by Jen
xx
Watering Tomatoes

Started by christokes87 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 22:48
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Watering tomatoes

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2018, 20:20
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 40 queries.