Can you compost kitchen roll ?

• 10 Replies

garddwr

Can you compost kitchen roll ?
« on: August 20, 2009, 19:43 »
Hi,

I've just emptied the compost bin and have some lovely black stuff.

Now I'm starting all over again !!

Just asking caus we bin a load of the stuff every week and it seems thinner than paper -so can it be composted ?

Thanks

Garddwr

zazen999

Re: Can you compost kitchen roll ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 19:55 »
Yes, you can compost all paper based products.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 21:43 »
Just one caveat - I wouldn't compost it if it's been used on oil or meat based food.  That runs the risk of attracting vermin.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

garddwr

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:06 »
Thanks thats really useful.

Just one caveat - I wouldn't compost it if it's been used on oil or meat based food.  That runs the risk of attracting vermin.

Thanks for the warning as my compost bin is in the garden. I'll bin the ones used for meat or oil.

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:25 »
As was said above you can compost any sort of paper, if you family use those disgusting paper tissues instead of proper handkerchiefs they can all go in. Tear up cardboard (occasionally is has a plastic film instead of printing so you can't use it, pull off the brown packaging tape), shred all your junk mail (surprisingly shiny stuff breaks down OK), newspaper is fine, etc. You do sometimes get shiny bits not broken down from window envelopes that are plastic rather than cellophane - there should be a campaign to make them all biodegradable - but they are not a real issue. I have a lot of grass mowings and paper is essential to mix with them mid-season when there isn't much else. 
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 10:02 »
As was said above you can compost any sort of paper, if you family use those disgusting paper tissues instead of proper handkerchiefs they can all go in.

I would like to point out that paper tissues, if used correctly, are NOT disgusting. In fact they are actually better for containing germs and reducing spread of colds and flu.

To be used correctly it means use once (or several if sneezing repeatedly for example) and then throw in a bin. A paper tissue which dries out is not a good environment for germs to survive at all, whereas a moist hanky kept in a warm pocket is an ideal breeding ground for germs. This will help to rapidly spread bugs, especially as most people I see take them out their pockets and shake them before use.

The latest plan for reducing the spread of flu (any and all flu's not just H1N1)  is 'catch it, bin it, kill it'.

It is to me common sense.

As for composting tissues used for colds and flu..........honestly not sure on that one (from the germ perspective), but I am going to look into it.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Idaho

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 10:08 »
As was said above you can compost any sort of paper, if you family use those disgusting paper tissues instead of proper handkerchiefs they can all go in. 

Why should I use a rag to blow my nose? Hankerchiefs are vile.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:11 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 11:12 »
Idaho - please be mindful how you phrase things. This is a family orientated forum.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

zazen999

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 11:38 »

Good point, I don't have meat or fish so forget that other people do.  :wub:

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 12:28 »
we use tissues, I couldn't face the thought of putting a hankie full of snot in the washing machine with my tea towels  :tongue2: 
I'm with nikkithefoot on this, moist hankie in the pocket been taken in an out, all those germs on the hands, very un-hygienic.  The only thing in their favour I suppose is the environmental issue, I try to buy re-cycled tissues though.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Webby

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 21:13 »
Yes and no, you should only compost the recycled stuff as most of the other has man made fibres added, especially the super absorbent ones. Also watch out for some tea bags which are made of nylon!
Always look ahead, there are no regrets in that direction

xx
How to incorporate kitchen compost for best results

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2020, 20:35
by Growster...
xx
It,s the new rock and roll

Started by craggy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 18:35
by JayG
xx
Roll them carrots...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 09:32
by DD.
xx
Loo roll inners?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 11:42
by MegC1991

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 36 queries.