Carers on Breakfast TV.

• 6 Replies

Goosegirl

Carers on Breakfast TV.
« on: January 08, 2024, 11:33 »
I've been watching this series on Breakfast TV and it comes as no surprise just how carers are so undervalued. Until my husband went into a nursing home he had a carer in the morning and evening, but I had to do it for him the rest of the day. Not only does it take a physical toll especially if your not in the first flush of youth, but the emotional aspect is very hard to take. Anyone else seen this?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

Re: Carers on Breakfast TV.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 15:53 »
Good carers are worth their weight in gold, bad carers are the scum of the earth.   I experience both in the decade I looked after Mother Lard and unfortunately there are considerably more of the latter than the former. Until you've spent a few years as someones carer you don't realise what a demanding job it actually is, caring should be recognised more like nursing or midwifery.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 09:21 »
Absolutely bob on there Lardman. We were very lucky with the regular carers we had and struck up a good relationship with them. Some others were just bobbing in, done me job, then bob out again. One I remember only came once thank goodness. She had a face like a coal shovel, an attitude that left a lot to be desired in her profession, and she couldn't get out fast enough. 

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 11:12 »
When we were looking for carers for my elderly partially deaf, partially blind aunt the council supplied two ladies who did not have English as their first language.  My cousin and I struggled to understand them so no way would my aunt have coped.  When we explained the difficulty for the umpteenth time we were told take it or leave it.  By word of mouth we found carers who came highly recommended, they made such a difference to my aunt's last month's and we will forever be in their debt. 

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 18:56 »
First some background.

After Mrs HGB's 'limit of the survivable range' stroke in December 2012, eventually got her home in March 2013.  The consultant was rather definite that she would never be well enough to come home but would need to go into residential care.  However, my neighbour referred me to a private firm of homecare that she was using for her aged parent and was very satisfied with.

With their absolutely invaluable help and advice I was able to put together a care plan to get Mrs HGB home, with the NHS loaning us med bed (with mattress thingie that chugged all day and night), patient hoist and slings, bedpans etc etc etc.   I converted the dining room into our version of a Cottage Hospital and brought her home (with a contingency plan for residential nursing care transfer if it all proved unworkable and unsafe.   Camp bed for me so when she woke up in the night I was right there).

Set off with four visits daily  each of two carers but as I gained experience we were able to throttle back first to three visits and then two.   Now eleven years later Mrs HGB has made some progress but remains unable to stand, walk, talk, use her right arm etc etc as the obvious issues plus others less visible.

Now.
We are still using the local homecare services company all these years on and throughout the time the individual carers have ranged from pretty good to utterly excellent.  One of the senior carers in the mix was one of those who helped us devise the original plan and get it up and working all those years age.

I am principal carer between the carer calls, and for overnight etc and if I say so meself, just about manage it.  However there are some things which, although I can and do carry out, are more welcomed from other ladies, shall we say.   From her mood standpoint, the positive effect on her mood and morale from the carers we see is amazing.  They talk with her not over her, which is not always the case in care scenarios (particularly in hospitals!)
To some extent it almost feels like when you are not so well and your mates are helping you out -only mates who are experts in patient handling and other aspects of care (and some with nursing experience too).    THey have become friends in addition to the 'business' relationship, and I am very conscious that we are incredibly lucky to have found them, particularly in the light of some of the horror stories we have heard in other people's experiences with care services (like my late Mother's down in Greenwich.  Non-English speaking, slapdash and dishonest.  Grrr).

For the first six years after stroke day I also had Mrs HGB's (now late) mum on the premises too and as she became increasingly frail as well as, er, *confused*, I was able to add another single call for her care too.  (Got on with her but realistically me doing anything for her of a personal nature , outside emergencies, would have been wrong for her and for me).  Her needs were nothing like as complex as for Mrs HGB, but as expected, the standard of care they provided to her was equally as good.

Not all carers are the same.  I suspect most are pretty good but there is no doubt that there are some who are definitely not suited to this kind of work.  Our providers seem to be very good at avoiding anyone like that when recruiting, probably helped by their deliberate decision to keep the business at a scale where visibility of maintained high standards remains effective.  There may be cheaper services around, but they are worth every penny and more.

And recently, they have helped me put together the contingency plans for various scenarios going forward, just in case.

If I had to sum the homecare people we us in a single word it would be 'exemplary'.

Sorry all for rambling on.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 18:59 by hamstergbert »
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 09:05 »
Don't you apologise whatsoever HGB. You have been through far worse than me and am so glad you got the care and carers you needed. My husband is now in a nursing home and I've seen such lovely ladies there who are a privilege to watch.

wighty

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 17:45 »
Having worked in the care sector  as a Manager or dual Manager as Lou and I were, employed by someone who lived in Thailand, some of  your stories reduce me to tears because I know how frustrating it was.  Where you live in the Country depends on what your County gets paid towards Social Care.  We were on holiday in Stroud and I saw a Care Firm Office and walked in and told them my qualifications,  they wanted me to sign up there and then!  I would also have earnt about £12 an hour more than I was getting.  It should be the same Nationwide.

xx
The Royal Breakfast

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post January 18, 2020, 20:51
by New shoot
xx
My Muddy Breakfast

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 11:19
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 42 queries.