Just how do you get every thing done in the garden.

• 14 Replies

LILLILEAF

Just how do you get every thing done in the garden.
« on: March 26, 2023, 15:52 »
What is the best way to get these jobs done?? i always seem to be playing catch up,i do the garden on my own cutting the grass, digging, trimming, planting,organising what to plant,fruit and veg prep for either freezing or dehydrating,jam making and sauces etc etc.
I am not complaining i love being outside growing stuff but i make lots of mistakes, and no one to say do it this way, and by the way i work full time to,and i have had 2 hip replacements on one side.
i am almost 60 boy getting older is not much fun,i have my dog she is my best mate never answers me back and i have chickens who lay the most wonderful eggs.

wighty

Re: Just how do you get every thing done in the garden.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 16:51 »
As with everything, I make a list and as each job is completed I cross it off.  I try to mix up easy, quick tasks with the ones I know will take longer otherwise it can be a bit daunting, but if you can cross off two or three smaller bits it looks better.

Debz

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 10:41 »
I don't but I do what I can.  I've got my garden, my plot, a full time job and two kids.  My mum has a large garden that she's not fit enough to look after on her own but she has a man who cuts the grass.  I do the heavy lifting there too but I love to be outside - it's usually a little and often approach.

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 17:41 »
I make a list to remind me what needs doing, only problem is for everything I do I add at least two more tasks to the list.  I'm lucky I only work two days a week but I do a bit of volunteering, there aren't enough hours in the day. In an ideal world I'd sneak an extra 24 hours in between Tuesday and Wednesday.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 18:44 »
Haven't cut my grass since last September ... it'll either get done pronto, or it won't ... I just don't worry about it too much! Things tend to cope or catch up  8)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 08:40 »
I'm older than you & I don't get as much done at once as I used to. I notice the garden bench gets more use than it did!
I set aside a time, an hour or two and get what I can done in the time. Whatever I do it looks better at the end of the hour! If it's a bit weedy at times of year when I'm busy in my day job I remind myself we're not open to the public - it's just a piece of ground that feeds us.
 I don't make to-do lists because they loom over me menacingly & make it feel like work. The only thing I write down is which seeds need sowing, month by month, so I don't find unsown ones at the end of the year.  ::)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 12:06 »
I haven’t really touched the garden much yet. My neighbour has cut the grass which means I will need to do mine as it’s a shared lawn but it’s raining!
Fortunately I got to the plot yesterday and put out my peas and onions. My simple method is to do something when it actually stops raining. I don’t have a list but I do refer to john’s list of what needs doing by months. I fear I prioritise the plot over the garden which I shouldn’t really do!
Keep digging

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 11:12 »
Basically I don't! Having moved to a new place with a smaller sort of wrap-around garden, I've still had to prioritise what I really want to grow which am able to do by myself but then I have a lovely handy man who helps me out when needed. The transition ain't easy but so necessary. Gardening can become a special place where we can somehow connect with nature to produce flowers, veg, or whatever. Never should it become a kind of bridle that makes you wake up in the morning with one of your first thoughts being to beat yourself up because you should have done this or shouldn't have done that. Been there, done it, and got the T-shirt. Grow what you love and love what you grow.
Side garden.jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 11:29 »
That’s a lovely photo GG
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 11:41 »
I’m not sure that I get everything done as there’s always more to do. I too sometimes feel overwhelmed, sometimes I have lists & tick off when a job is done. When I worked I was more organised, I’ve been retired 6 + 1/2 years now & I’m certainly more unorganised. I used to keep a comprehensive plan of the allotment & planting plan, but the last few years has seen that slide by the by. I still enjoy it all, but I prioritise my grandchildren that I now have( they started arriving the year I retired lol). I am also now very involved with our gardening club so that eats into my time. But I just do what I can, when I can & when I feel like it.
Take this morning, I’ve been to the plot about 9;45 to ‘do’ the chickens. Hubby rang me at just gone 11 to see if I was ok, but it started to rain whilst I was there, so I bobbed in the poly tunnel & finished potting up the last of the strawberry runners I’d cleared up on Tuesday into 6x modules= 11 trays later  :lol:. So it’s got done.
Yesterday I was going to prick out the tomatoes but I’d no labels left so yesterday afternoon & evening I cleaned every label I’d collected up since last year, a job that should have & could have been done before Christmas ideally.
One thing that has made a tremendous difference is going no dig, so fewer weeds. Bigger & more productive plants with bigger crops I swear.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 14:45 »
I mainly feel totally overwhelmed with it.   There is so much out there for me to do.   I have tidied up a bit, but it is raining and blowing hard.  I have become a fair-weather gardener, as I am always so cold.  I suppose it'll get done eventually.  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 18:09 »
I usually go back through all the gardening diaries from over the years, and 'wonder' at the timing of sowing/planting some things, and 'despair' about some of the others...

This year is certainly going to mean a slow start, but I have about 120 tomato plants ready for potting on, (the first lot didn't germinate after three weeks plus, so I panicked and replaced the seed and they're all coming up now), but the list of chums who are getting several each is growing as we speak...

I really must plant the broad beans a.s.a.p., as they're showing serious roots now, but it's just too cold at the moment...

Fabulous time really - you need a crisis to start a whirlwind...!

Christine

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2023, 19:51 »
So far as I know you never get all the jobs done because it's so easy to go and invent a few more when you stop to draw breath.

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 09:33 »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't get everything done in day we try to do a couple of days down the allotments then a couple of days at home in the greenhouses and we seem to have spent more time in the greenhouses just lately because its raining most days but looking on the bright side we've managed to get a few seed sowing done and I managed to take a load of horse manure down the allotments last Monday as it was a fine day but your write there seems less time when you retire than  when you where working maybe we tend to slow down more when we retire or what I would call laid  back :D but  you've  always got to make time to go out we call Thursdays our day off we  mite go for a meal visit a garden centre or other places because you know what the old ones used to say to much work makes Jack a dull boy  :D

LILLILEAF

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 11:49 »
Well i do feel a bit happier as its not only me feeling the strain, i have started to do a bit more after tea now its lighter, and if i get back from work early i usually have the grass to cut, which i have done again ::).
I am always giving myself more jobs to do when tasks are getting on the low side.
Just been out on my bike with the dog the weather is dry so making the most of it.
Next job finish weeding the fruit cage area soil is very wet but i can make a start.
 I have never made a list of jobs they are all in my head if i can find them :lol:.

xx
Have I done the right thing ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post November 01, 2019, 17:20
by Christine
xx
Hello - is this thing on?

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post March 26, 2021, 08:31
by JayG
xx
Daftest thing you nearly did lately

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2019, 17:05
by sospan
xx
What's the daftest thing you did lately?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2019, 14:28
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 52 queries.